Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

FCW Off Alert??

34K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  TX-Rob 
#1 ·
Has anyone's truck shown this? My truck is clean and so is the lens but it keeps saying that something is blocking it and it needs to be cleaned!!! Vehicle Car Technology Electronic device Auto part
Automotive exterior Car Vehicle Bumper Grille

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

See less See more
#2 ·
I've read that if a rock or something hits it, it can be thrown off alignment or the lense may be cracked.

#4 ·
Yeah..let them sort it out.

#9 ·
Did a rock really hit it? Is there physical damage to the lens or surrounding area of the sensor to prove this? I have seen a post or two about similar issues and having a defective sensor IIRC.

Mine has been trouble free over the last year and 22k miles. I have gotten the message before, mostly because the lens was covered in bugs or something else.

#13 ·
FCW Off Alert 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee

We took our 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee in to the dealer because it was overheating. Result was the water pump needed to be replaced. Ok. that was under warranty but then they said they found a hairline crack in the radiator and replaced it too, also under warranty. Picked up the jeep drove it to the hotel we were staying at less than 5 miles away and parked the car. We didnt drive it for 3 or 4 more days but when we did the FWC Off light came on with the message that we needed to clean the front camera lense. Did that and the warning message still went off and on. Took it to the dealer but they couldn't look at it that day. We came home back to Texas and took it to our jeep dealer. Mechanic said the camera bolt had been broken off and since it is directly by the radiator it is likely the damage occurred when they installed the radiator. Contacted dealer who repaired jeep (water pump and radiator) to request that they pay for the replacement of the $2300 camera and they said after review they do not feel the damage was done at the repair because their technician would have noted the problem when they test drove it after the repair. According to them the light would have immediately come on. The camera has 3 bolts and a definite crack in the bracket near the 4th bolt hole. Trying to determine if we should continue trying to get dealer to pay for repairs or what could have caused the problem under normal wear and tear conditions (ie jeep was purchased brand new and has never been wrecked)

#14 ·
A nice lawyer letter to the offending dealership's service department should do the trick. The problem is that if you do sue for damages, it'll have to be where the work took place (out of state?).

I'd be firm with the dealership and try to exhaust all remedies by going up the chain of command. You should also get a written report from the mechanic stating that the radiator work was the most likely cause of the damage. I'd have it done by a Jeep mechanic, but not tell him you plan to use against another Jeep dealership's service department. Just ask for a written report of what he thinks caused the issue.

If you due sue the dealership, you will get your attorney fees and court costs as part of your settlement - but the whole thing is a hassle. But for $2,300, you can bet I'd be all over this and start by getting a very stern lawyer letter from an attorney in the same area as the dealership, it will probably cost $200-$300 but may show the dealership you mean business and scare them into paying for the repair.

Don't let this go! Any judge or jury you go in front of is most likely going to have their own crappy car dealership experience that they will remember and give you the benefit of the doubt - unless the dealership can prove otherwise.

This is enough money to make it worth a few hours of phone calls to the dealership and a local attorney.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.