Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Acceleration and deceleration clunk

45K views 93 replies 49 participants last post by  zepp1974 
#1 ·
After I put about 1k miles on my WK2 SRT8 I noticed that a clunking started occurring when I was changing momentum. The clunking occurs at the rear of the car has about the same sound as the known issue with the shocks bottoming out but also consists of a physical clunk you can feel in the car.

It doesn’t occur all of the time but it seems to get worse the more I drive the car without letting it sit in park or if I break or accelerate hard. The issue occurs a lot less when the SRT8 is in sport or track mode but it still can occur. It doesn’t seem to be the brakes since it even occurs when I am coasting slowly and the car downshifts and changes momentum without me putting on the brakes. It is occurring even on flat surfaces so it isn’t a case of the shocks bouncing due to a change in vertical height.

I took the SRT8 in for a couple of issues and when I just called in for a status update they said the clunking noise was normal for this drive line.

Is this another normal clunking sound or is the dealer off basis here?

#39 ·
Spoke to the srt tech at my local chrysler. I was thinking that i needed a torque converter from some research ive done. I still might, just for my setup alone but the tech said that the clunk most likely is caused by the input shaft. I havent done my research on it yet but he said that a lot of srt owners, expecially jeep wk1 and wk2 experience this.
Any thoughts

#41 ·
Truck at the dealer for the last week. My buddy is the service manager. Mechanic still can figure where its comming from. I having major withdraws.

#42 ·
My 12 does it alot , most on acceleration and not jus one clunk from rear end it's happenin in multiples lol. Also as some one stated mostly while jus cruising being a good boy it's very noticeable , but when im agressive and getin on her i really don't hear/feel it or maybe it is happen jus to much other exh , road , engine action to notice! It's quite annnoying though , i really feel like one day soon something's gonna lock up , or fall out , or idk but it's nitta good feeling lol

#43 ·
Could it be the 4 vs. 8 cylinder mode crap kicking in and out? In my 2014, not only can you tell from sound, but when I'm casually coasting around, I can feel the car switching into modes in very slow stop and go traffic. But maybe that's not how this feature works?

Coasting and then very light throttle can have a lighter version of that same clunking for me, but perhaps it is just the transmission stuff as well? I for sure also have the clunk when starting at times, and my girlfriend notices without me saying anything so I know its not just me.

#45 ·
No i doubt it's the eco mode cause i see that lite on off all fuq'n day long and the noise is def not associated w that , also the thunk clunk dunk is mostly on throttle and the eco lite is non existent at that point!

The auto/sport/track thing i don't beilieve is it either as i live in S Fla and the road's are better than butter , i put this bitch in track mode in garage before i even hit the shifter lol.. I actually don't think i ever have driven in auto mode!

#46 ·
Keep in mind ECO mode is NOT the 4 cylinder mode. ECO has nothing to do with the change between 4 and 8 cylinder mode. Its simply a shifting and throttle program mode that is supposed to be more efficient in stop and go traffic. I've never noticed. The MDS doesn't have a switch to turn on and off. I believe its automatically off in sport and track mode though. This supports the MDS being the source of the clunky shifting as a possibility.

#49 ·
I'm wondering how some of you that are having the clunk broke in your Jeeps. I think the break in period is about the engine and the transmission. The instructions for my Jeep kept me from doing any heavy reving until 300 miles or so and then it instructed me to do a good amount of downshifting and upshifting for the next 200 miles. Did you guys follow that? Not saying this isn't a manufacturing error, but trying to figure out why some people get the clunk and others don't.

#50 ·
I followed my break in instructions almost perfectly. The first 300 miles were on the highway, so I was about 5mph higher than each recommended section. I also didn't have as much of a chance to do the manual shifting at high rpm until the tail end if that recommended period.
I've isolated the noise to the left rear side on mine. Some days it's almost every time momentum increases/slows. Other days it's about every 50% of the time.
Seems any mode, including valet mode,
Also hear it as the momentum changes from moving backwards in reverse to forward in drive.

#51 ·
I find its worse and somewhat associated with inclines. Its also worse going around corners while accelerating from a top.

I still suspect it has something to do with the traction control awd, auto systems, maybe we are losing a bit of traction and don't know it. It has also gotten worse as my tires have worn but its hard to tell if its directly related or just in general getting worse!

#52 ·
Im in the same boat. Dealer says it my ebiach springs. They replaced rear shocks absolutely no change. It clucks all the time in drive/reverse / hitting the brakes in neutral/ bumps / body torchon making it
basically impossible to figure out. Very frustrated

#54 ·
I have a 16 with 1000 miles, started clunking when slowing down 6, 5,4,3,2. Mine is at dealer all week, after a week of fighting with them just to take it again(jeep wave called my dealer and it got accepted) ... They called me Tuesday and said they tried replacing the valve body, stated(didn't do much). Then waited for an engineer to come and drive it, he came today. Service manager is hinting to me he's going to say it's normal. I'm very frustrated, not sure what to do but I'm not accepting it. It's a clunker!!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#57 ·
Just to add to all the pages of info on this, I had a clunk in the front going over speed bump and if you slightly jumped on the throttle and let out real quick. Anyhow the dealer said I had a bad motor mount (left), Ill pick it up tomorrow and let you know......

#60 ·
Same issue here. Been fighting with the dealer for well over a year now and they have tried all sorts and no luck. They do acknowledge it is there which is always a plus. Now the trans is slipping after just being rebuilt 4k ago. Tomorrow I drop it off again....for the 8th time. They have had enough of seeing me and my car there so I think out out sheer pissed off attitude they are rebuilding the trans, transfer case, replacing the diff and all drive shafts plus joints. Lets see what happens after this.

#62 ·
My 2017 clunks when downshifting or pulling from a stop...but not every time...tech told me he has had several vehicles with the 8 speed that did the same....he said the sound is coming from the trans but has not found a cure...tech support told him to install a new trans on one but the clunk didn't go away....he has noticed that all the clunkers have one thing in common...the trans was made in Germany...for some reason most get a trans made in the states but a few get the German made....he said some of the parts like the valve body are not interchangeable between the two makes..

#64 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a 2016 Jeep SRT and I love everything about it except for this clunking issue. With mine it happens between 18-20 mph while decelerating every single time. In traffic and driving around town it really ruins the driving experience. I am going to be taking mine to my dealer soon to have it looked at, has anyone had any luck with computer flashes, transfer case, torque converter etc? I would like to point them in the right direction so I can have it in and out of the shop as soon as possible.

#65 ·
On the older 2014 model the clunks and bogs were "normal". For some people the driving experience got even worse when they had it flashed (truck got slower in some cases if I recall correctly). Plus they can not do a roll back! So be careful what you have them do. I have a 2014 and learned to just live with it. Wonder why your 2016 has the problem though, I would think a 2016 would have the best software installed.

Have you tried driving in different modes, sport, track, snow and tow?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.