Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Water Pump Replacement

32K views 44 replies 37 participants last post by  Renfrick1 
#1 ·
Appears that quite a few of us have had the water pump go on our WK2's. Please post here the mileage on your vehicle when it went and wether or not is was covered under warranty.

2012 42,000 miles (checking on warranty this week)

Thanks in advance,

Steve

#3 ·
2012, 89000 original miles, water pump still working (knocking on wood)

#6 ·
2014 pump went out at about 47,000 miles. Was covered by my warranty. Dealer in Frisco said there was 1 month back order on the pumps. My dealer in Dallas had them in stock though. I still smell that stinky radiator smell from time to time. Hard to get off your engine when these things go.

#11 ·
2012, 100000kms, not covered under warranty.
Still was working but pissing out fluid.

#16 ·
So not covered under warranty for me. Something i didn't know was in Canada it's only 3 year 60kms for SRT powertrain. Scince I'm 3 months over 3 years I'm ouy of pocket. Anyone have any luck with Chrysler customer service. I feel like this has happened to too many people for them not to help us out.

#17 ·
2012 79,000 miles when I started seeing the P0128 temp code.
I put in a new temp sensor but that didn't fix the error code issue. About a week later the water pump started leaking from the bearings around the main pulley. I went to the parts store and found a replacement for $120 and $30 for antifreeze. I also bought a code reader on Amazon for $10.

The replacement took me about an hour (with modest skills and basic tools). I reset the code with my $10 code reader and everything is tip top. I did this about 5,000 miles ago and everything is running great.

#18 ·
I'm doing mine on my wk1. Seems to be that there is a general problem with water pumps on both wk1 and wk2. Maybe the wk3 will be the 100k water pump. 3rd time is the charm...

#20 ·
When your Water Pumps are failing, do they start whining first? I just got my 2014 CPO'd SRT8 and within the last 500 miles (go figure) there has been a whining sound that raises with RPM. It sounds like its definitely something from the pulley system. Just havent had time to check it out yet.

#22 ·
Seems like everything is "Not Under Warrenty" here is CT...

2012 Jeep SRT; Water Pump went at 52,000 miles, Not covered !

Special Radiator for the All Wheel Drive Fluid went, 5 years and 2 weeks after the "In Service Date", Dealership said "If it happened 2 weeks ago it would have been covered...but not now" . When they were in there they noticed Minor Leak & Corosion on the Engine Coolant Radiator, so I had them relace that as well. Also Not Under Warrenty.

#24 ·
Interesting. I'll keep an eye on that water pump. I've been getting the P0128 code (coolant temp too LOW) every once in a while, but figured it was just due to having a 180* thermostat. I was hoping there was a setting within the tune out there to adjust thermostat temp and prevent the code from returning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.