Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Left Front Caliper Recall??

3K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  Leo77 
#1 ·
I received a recall notice for my 2015 SRT today for the left front caliper. I find this to be very odd A) because I had not seen any mention of the Brembos having this issue and B) my 2015 Overland had the same recall and obviously did not have the same brakes!

I double checked it by VIN on the fcarecalls.com site and sure enough my SRT came up with this recall.

Can anyone clarify this situation for me?

Thank you.

#2 · (Edited)
This one? Aren't all WK2 SRTs using the same caliper?

SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:FOUNDATION COMPONENTS DISC CALIPER
Recall for 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Recall Announced
MARCH 23 2016
NHTSA Reference
#16V168000
Number Affected

Summary: Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain model year 2015-2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango vehicles manufactured December 9, 2015, to January 14, 2016. In the affected vehicles, the left front brake caliper may crack due to being made from an incorrect material.

Consequence: A cracked brake caliper may lengthen the distance needed to stop the vehicle and increase the risk of a crash.

Fix: Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the front left brake caliper and depending on its casting date, replace it, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin on May 12, 2016. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is S16.

#3 ·
This one? Aren't all WK2 SRTs using the same caliper?...
yes but its the lot/batch manufacturing thing...bad raw materials/tempering/whatever specific to that batch...I was made well before that so I have a good set :smile2:

#5 ·
really weird since according to the text of the S16 recall (only one I can see you might be referencing) does not cover the SRT BR4 brakes...pictures in recall also bear this out....so your SRT VIN pulls this recall? really really strange

#6 ·
Sorry been busy - Saturday afternoon I called the 800 number on the recall notice and the woman was very polite but clearly had no idea about the differences between a single sliding piston caliper on the regular GCs/Durango and the 6 piston Brembos so she tried to patch me through to SRT engineers but they were all gone. She told me that she was going to let them know and have them call me. I didn't get any calls from them today and if I don't hear from them tomorrow, I will try to call Wednesday.

Oh, and yes when I enter my SRT's VIN on the FCA recall website, the "S16" recall comes up (left front caliper). It is obviously a mistake to include the SRTs but I want to hear it from SRT itself.

#7 ·
fair enough but if you read the recall itself you can see it is not for SRT brakes...your brake sales code is not listed, BR4 and the picture of the caliper clearly shows it to be a non-red Brembo..clearly your SRT VIN, and maybe other SRT's, was incorrectly loaded as included.

#9 ·
since it never should have been open on your VIN you need to pursue having them remove your VIN from the S16 recall list...best bet is to send an email to SRT Hotline with all the details. don't ask them if your SRT is in the recall since it isn't and they will waster their time confirming you are not in. Instead I would tell them your SRT VIN was incorrectly put into the S16 Recall VIN database and you need it removed to avoid all the follow-up hassle this is going to create with all the "open recall" stuff they will send your way....just my 20 cents....good luck.

#11 ·
got it, sometimes I "over help" 0:) besides maybe an ex not leaving me alone :surprise: the recall pitbull is high on my avoid list.

#16 ·
Update 8/31/16 - After 2 completely worthless calls to the FCA/SRT phone number (almost like the Abbot and Costello "Who's on 1st" routine where they basically stonewalled me) and 1 call from a semi-helpful local dealer service manager that FCA had had call me (who said "well, we will inspect the caliper and note that it isn't the same as the recall part number and then close the recall"), I PM'd a Jeep representative from another forum and she called me within an hour and told me she was on it. And she was not kidding - she got the situation settled in less than 24 hours. Today she told me that my car was erroneously included in the recall and apparently they have discovered a few other SRTs that mistakenly got the notice as well. My VIN is being removed from the recall list today.

As for pictures of my Boss, I do not have picture hosting capability unfortunately.

#19 ·
I just wanted to post a quick response, because I found it odd when I was just looking at my 'Left-Driver Side Rotor' and I noticed this to be the only 'Rotor' on my SRT8 with deep grooves, the other 3 Rotors look fine. Ill be having the dealership check this out in this coming week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.