Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Remote start shuts off, then CEL P0520

11K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  GreySoulSRT8 
#1 ·
Just literally got my '14 SRT back from the dealer last night. Got an oil change, tire rotation, and the ABS light was on so they "fixed" that in some manner.

Anyway, this morning, one day and 16 miles later, I go to remote start. Starts up fine, then shuts off on it's own a few seconds later (this isn't the first time it has done this).

So I go in, start the vehicle normally, starts fine and appears to run fine. Then I notice the Check Engine Light is on. I ran the diagnostics while driving and I THINK I got the code P0520. I say "think" because after I got to the parking lot the code must have cleared, but the CEL was still on.

Any idea what might be going on here? This code relates to an oil pressure sensor of some sort right? Would this have to do with something they did or did not do when they changed the oil yesterday??? And is this code the reason it shut off when started remotely??? Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
It could be the oil sending unit. My wife had hers go bad on her 14 ram. They said they had changed out quite a few. It was only a couple weeks old. With a CEL, that's what your remote start will do. Start and then quit in a few seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I'm at least slightly concerned they changed the oil and forgot to put oil in it. I will check that as soon as I get back to the parking lot. Hope I didn't put ~30 miles on it w/o oil....

I called the dealer, they said most likely bad oil pressure sensor, but I should make sure there is oil in there.

#5 ·
Had the same code show up when I bought my 14 a few years ago. It's the oil pressure sensor and it was a recall at that time. Plus, when there is a code thrown you can't use automatic start. It will shut off within a few seconds. I would check your records to see if it was replaced, if not, it only takes the dealer about an hour. Hope this helps

#10 ·
Figures, one day after owning mine I get the p0520 code. Searched but didn't find any recall info on it? Going to call dealer today. What should I know about this? I've been checking oil and watching oil PSI. It stays at 100PSI assuming that is to protect itself. Is this common and how quickly does it need to be addressed?

#12 ·
Couple quick (dumb) questions...my sensor just went out...cel p0520 and 100psi oil pressure....

Does the oil pan need to be empty to change out the sensor or can i do it with a full oil load without getting oil everywhere.
I have about 2k miles until my next oil change and would rather take care of the sensor in the mean time if i can. Also if anyone has a part number for the 6.4L sensor that would be helpful, if not im sure ill find it somewhere. Lastly can someone confirm the sensor is by the oil filter, most the info i have found has been 6.1/5.7L

Im out of warranty so tackling myself.

thanks

#13 ·
Answering my own questions...

1st it is a PITA. If it goes out again i will be paying someone.

2nd. It is on the front of the block basically behind the alternator. (Under and to right of alternator if looking at front). It is not easy to get to from above or below. Above is slightly easier.

3rd. The part at autozone is duralast ps401. 40$
Need a 1-1/16" deep socket and a 3 inch extension.

4th it is easier if you take belt off alternator.

5th. About 1/4 of a quart of oil comes out.

6th. The one that kinda looks like the oil pressure switch above the oil filter is the oil temp gauge.

I think that is all of my lessons learned.

Reactions: Jfra and Passmg2
#15 ·
Subscribed for any updates. My 2014 with 60k just did the P0520 code and the remote start shuts off after a few seconds. Orange engine light is on. I'm assuming its the oil pressure sensor so not urgent. I will take it in this week likely...maybe get a free oil change out of it.

Let me know if you guys have heard anything different on this.

#16 ·
The reason the remote start shuts the vehicle off is the computer is causing it to go into fault protection mode and turning the vehicle off to protect the engine from damage. It's more than likely the sensor but is it only the CEL that comes on or does the CEL and the red oil light come on too? If it's just the CEL it could be a bad sensor or wiring issue(pinched wire or connector not seated right). If both lights are on there could be a much bigger issue at hand like a failing oil pump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.