Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Hitch issues? Bike rack...

914 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  patrickmurray 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Long story short... Today I decided to try out a Bike Rike that I ordered online. Although it did have a slight wiggle (i wrote it off to it being the rack itself), I installed it with no issues.

I drove about 30 miles each way, got back home and decided to take it off.

As I was removing it I noticed the screw was not loosening. I tried everything I could think of. The bolt is spinning but it is not coming out. It has a ton of play/wiggle as if something inside is loose. I am just not sure what its holding on too.

Could you guys recommend anything? I hope I did't damage the hitch itself and if I did worst case, is there anything that can be done?

I would appreciate any help you guys can offer. I have a bike rack stuck on my truck and its not a good feeling :0)

Thank you!

#2 ·
Not knowing what this screw is in to or what it's inside of that's spinning, a grinder with a cut off wheel is you friend.

2014 300 SRT8 / 2007 JEEP SRT8

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'm not familiar with the internal parts of a hitch. Is there some kind of threading inside the hole that allows a bolt to attach to it? I'm thinking to take it to a welding shop for them to remove it however I don't want to damage the hitch

If I do damage it is there a way to replace the entire hitch itself? I see that it's welded on.. Just not sure if it's possible to remove the entire thing and replace. Also not sure if the internal parts of the htitch is damaged.

#4 ·
Hitch only has a hole, no thread, so you should be good there. Both of my bike racks actually have one of those threaded nutserts welded inside the bike rack tube that goes into the hitch. When you put the bolt into the nut you may have over tightened it and/or the nutsert broke off inside the bike rack. As previous post said just grind off the bolt if you can then you can get the rack off and inspect the inside of the bike rack mounting tube. A welding shop could reweld a new nutsert maybe to save the bike. rack. Your hitch on the truck isn't the problem. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.