Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

2014 Mystery Clunk

39K views 69 replies 30 participants last post by  jcothran23 
#1 ·
I bought my 2014 Jeep SRT new off the lot and have only used launch control 4 or 5 times, as to say I have not driven this rig hard. Over the winter, I began to notice a "clunk clunk" from the rear, while accelerating from a complete stop. The noise became worse as the weather got warmer. I brought it into the dealer and they said that the rear breaks were binding and that once they were replaced it should go away...

Now 30 days later my Jeep is still at the dealer shop, they acknowledge the "clunk clunk" and can repeat the noise at will while accelerating. They have consulted a national tech and had chassis ears all over the rear of my car.

Here is what they have tried so far:

1. Rear breaks redone - no affect (not under warranty)
2. Replaced rear axle - no affect (under warranty)
3. Replaced gas tank because "baffles broke loose" - no affect (not under warranty)
4. Replaced Continuous Velocity Joint - no affect (under warranty)

So my questions are:

1. Anybody else have/heard this issue?
2. At what point is the "grace" period over before I have my lawyer start writing strongly worded letters?

Thank you for reading,

~miss my Jeep :frown2:

See less See more
#2 ·
Mine is doing this aswell. That is why i jump'd on forum this am ! There is another thread i was looking for as many a few have had this issue ! When i read it a few mo's agoo i was ohh i got that but it's minimal lately its progressively getting much more noticeable and worse. Im go find the thread and will send linknif i find it!

Keep this thread updated , as my dousche deeler say's this is perfectly normal for a perf Suv - my Dik then why has'nt it done it fron the begin?!?

Neil

#3 ·
Yes take a look at the other thread.

Shouldn't matter how many times you've used launch control - its a feature design to be used. If they want to use it as a reason to deny warranty work, their SRT fans will drop like flies, me first.

I have this clunk, and it almost feels like something shifts in the rear of the car, as if you have a heavy bag that moves around. Mine isn't loud and doesn't bother me....but if it gets worse..

#4 ·
Agreed, and it is disheartening to hear people being told "deal with it, it is a high performance vehicle".

I did finally find the other "clunk" thread and read it front to back. The best way I can describe the sound is, if you have ever pulled a trailer, the clunk that happens at initial acceleration when the tongue engages/shifts on the hitch.

I have told my service manager about the theories floated in that thread; hill descent, trans programming...etc.

He stated that he is trying to get the national field engineer to show up in Minnesota...

#5 ·
Never heard this in mine. Can you hear and feel it? Have they checked every bolt and torques them to specs? What all did they replace in the rear end? Checked the half shafts or driveshaft?

#6 ·
Yes, they have gone front to back to check every component is tight and to spec.
Yes, you can hear it and feel it in the pedals. I was told if you feel it in the steering wheel it is coming from the front, but if you feel it in the floor it is coming from the back...?

They replaced:

1. Rear breaks redone - no affect (not under warranty)
2. Replaced rear axle - no affect (under warranty)
3. Replaced gas tank because "baffles broke loose" - no affect (not under warranty)
4. Replaced Continuous Velocity Joint - no affect (under warranty)

#9 ·
Update:

National engineer reviewed everything they had done and was also "stumped"...so he authorized the replacement of the rear differential.
They are not 100% confident this will fix the problem either...but hopeful.

El Jefe:

To answer your question, they replaced the passenger side half shaft.

#10 ·
My wife car has the same issue. She does not have the SRT though. Mine is the SRT but do not have the issue. Hers is the 5.7 Grand cherokee and she had that double clunk. Just after you move off from a stand still. The dealer went through her car like crazy and after 4 days with the car and replaced almost the whole rear end had no luck. They said they would do more research but I can come and collect the car anyway then bring it back. While the service advisor was talking to me one of their techs walked past and heard the conversation. He suggested to re flash the transmission. While I waited they took it to the back again and did it as they had not tried it... They test drove the car and it was gone. She has now done 7k in it since and it has never come back. Not sure if the SRT would benefit from it but it would be worth a try.

#14 ·
Mine is feeling like it's the right rear quadron , just now i was mess'n w the throttle on way to gym and mine is doing it 100% of the time from a stop , sometimes a single clunk/thump sometime's a double ! In addition i Noticed on mine i can make it happen in motion w a light push of gas from 20-30 mph it'll happen! As stated i feel as mine is progressively getting worse lol..

As BOB stated i Nvr heard / Noticed it before this damn thread lmao , but since then it's def getting worse ! I beet her and will continue too till something give's , dealer say's "ohhh that's Normal" so.....

Neil

#15 ·
They have 30+ hours on my vehicle and had chassis ears all over it, they replaced the passenger half shaft because they thought that was the point of "clunk".

I got my rig back yesterday (rear differential takes 2 weeks to order) and the clunk does sound more central and further to the rear than it did before?

I tried the "Sport Mode" idea to avoid the clunk, and while it seems to occur less, it still happens.

Sorry to those who now hear the clunk, but I am a guy who cringes at Tommy Boy losing the bag of M&Ms in the dash...

Attachments

#18 ·
Just to let you guys know, I had exactly the same issue. And now it is fixed. Many people told me it was the drive shaft, engine mounts, tranny mounts yada yada yada. It was some loose bolt in the front according to my dealer, and now it's completely gone.

Hope that helps someone.

#19 ·
Your saying the loose bolt was in the front. im taking my in and would love to give the dealer some direction to limit the back an forth.

#21 ·
I've got the 'clunk' please help

Guys, I have a 2015 SRT - when I accelerate from a dead stop, I get a small bump bump feel from my rear. I've read multiple threads where people had the same issue, but can find where it was eliminated. ANY HELP? Please. I've been to the dealer so much. They seem to think it's the subframe connectors. But they are afraid to pull the trigger on that. - it only happens when lightly accelerating from a. dead stop. It's not loud, but you can feel it for sure.

Any help? We've checked the transfer case and tightened up everything to spec. Still there. What to do?

#23 ·
I am having this exact problem with my wife 14 SRT with 50k miles. Its still under powertrain warranty and right now I'm in the middle of the process with getting the dealer to accurately diagnose it. I never trust dealers anyhow but this is my journey so far and Ill keep it updated as I go in case we get it figured out.

First diagnosis was bad motor mounts. I thought this was b/s but they said they were bad and it cost me $180 for their diagnostic fee. They said it was 1500$ to replace them. I said no thanks and did them in my garage in less than the quoted time for about $150. I also replaced the transmission mount at this time just in case. I really felt this was unnecessary but in order to move forward it had to be done. I didn't feel like paying another diagnosis fee at another dealer just to be told the same thing so i bit the bullet on this one.

I brought the jeep back for a second diagnosis. Thankfully didn't pay another fee this time but the tech "discovered" that the driveshaft carrier bearing bracket was only secured with one bolt and the other was left off, causing it to be ****ed to the side. This would not be covered under warranty because they said it must have been worked on and reinstalled incorrectly. I called the dealer we bought it from since we were the second owners and there is no documented warranty work that would have removed the drive shaft. Oh well, bite the bullet again and move forward. During this inspection the tech also noted that all my differential mount bushings were in good shape. Quoted $1050 to replace the driveshaft by the dealer. Bought the part for $540 from dealer and installed myself. Clunk is still present

I'm going back Monday for a third attempt. At this point I feel like they're out of things to try to make money off of and have to start seriously considering the transmission or differential as the culprit. I asked on our first visit about a transmission controller reflash but was told it was okay. I may push that again just because I feel like its worth a shot.

#24 ·
Im going through the same delima with my 2013 Jeep SRT8. Same exact clunk noise when driving from a stop.

Changed engine mounts and transmission mount, no change in clunk noise. I was told it could be a rear axle issue and described it as being hollow inside. Meaning all internals need to be replaced (rebuild job) or simply replace entire rear axles.

I dont know what to do specially that these attempts cost an arm and a leg.

#25 · (Edited)
When was the last time you changed your transfer case fluid? I posted right above you and have the same problem. I went to the dealer 3 times and spent $800 in parts. Their next diagnosis was the transfer case or diff needed to be rebuilt but they didnt want to cover it under warranty. I had an appointment with another dealer this coming Friday but my wife was doing some reading online about the transfer case fluid fixing this issue. For $30 (including a fluid pump) I drained it and put in some Castrol ATF-4 and the clunk has disappeared. Im still slightly in disbelief but my wife drove stop and go MD traffic this morning for 50 miles and the clunk is gone!

#29 ·
This isnt the best how to video out there but there wasnt much. It does show you what youre looking for however. I missed my opportunity to make a good how to for this. Maybe next time!

I cant add links to my posts because I dont have enough time on this forum I guess. Just search " WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee Transfer Case Fluid Change Tips " on youtube

#31 ·
Sounds exactly like how my truck was when I bought my 14 srt pre-owned. I changed my differential's and tcase fluids and all my clunking went away within 10 minutes of driving. The clunking was so annoying. When was the last time the fluids were changed? I used the OE T-case fluid from Chrysler and I forget the brand of diff fluid i used but i know it had the shock proof in it.

#32 ·
Watched a video on the transfer case fluid and noise....but i believe that is not the clunking i have. Mine is mainly felt after driving hard from a stop, feels like car is skipping from the back. Clunks once sometimes, other times feels like 2 or 3 clunks then goes away once u continue driving.