Found this "gem" of an article - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
Other Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Fiat Vehicle Discussion This is the section for the discussion of all other Chrysler Group LLC vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Found this "gem" of an article

http://jalopnik.com/carmakers-want-t...eca-1699132210

Any company that backs this plan will lose my business in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 09:42 AM
Senior Contributing Member

I feel ill now thanks.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 09:54 AM
Elite Contributing Member

Garage
Yeah, that's crap.

Next thing you know, Apple & Microsoft will tell us it's illegal to install new programs on their proprietary operating systems.

Steve
'15 Black over Red Vapor WK2 SRT-8 (Borla Type-S axleback, resonator delete, & a trunk mat!)
SOLD '06 Silver WK1 SRT-8 (Borla Type-S, Predator, K&N, Eibachs, S6M Shocks, JBA A-arms, 275/315)
'06 White E55 (STAR dropped, iForged Imolas, Eurocharge tune, HE - 483whp)
'94 Black Mustang GT (cam bearings spun/scored...new HCI 331 stroker coming soon)

PITTZ said I am special

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 10:42 AM
mad

Fu*k that, even if that pass there will still be loophole
- Someone can write the firmware from scratch with "white room" reverse engineering.
- You can still modify any parameter available in the original firmware as long as you don't modify the code, a table of parameter is not "code".

It's not gonna pass i'm sure, the iPhone jailbreak was prohibited under DMCA and that was reverted.

I'm a system engineer specialized in open source integration btw... Dont know too much about car tho but if they are using DMCA it should still apply.

Jeep Cherokee 2007 SRT8, murdered black, 500HP
Jeep Renegade 2015 Trailhawk <- pending mods

Last edited by mad; 04-23-2015 at 10:50 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 10:59 AM
Elite Contributing Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad View Post
Fu*k that, even if that pass there will still be loophole
- Someone can write the firmware from scratch with "white room" reverse engineering.
- You can still modify any parameter available in the original firmware as long as you don't modify the code, a table of parameter is not "code".

It's not gonna pass i'm sure, the iPhone jailbreak was prohibited under DMCA and that was reverted.

I'm a system engineer specialized in open source integration btw... Dont know too much about car tho but if they are using DMCA it should still apply.
I read an article yesterday which talked about John Deer in relation to this issue. In it, they described that JD wanted to retain ownership of the tractors, even though farmers purchased them, because of the software.

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/dmca-ownership-john-deere/

Last edited by HoustonSRT-8; 04-23-2015 at 11:00 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 11:24 AM
mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonSRT-8 View Post
I read an article yesterday which talked about John Deer in relation to this issue. In it, they described that JD wanted to retain ownership of the tractors, even though farmers purchased them, because of the software.

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/dmca-ownership-john-deere/
I can understand for combine harvester, these are fully automated nowadays, much like driver-less car, there's huge developments and competitions in that sector so you can't blame them for trying to keep their competitive advantage. But an ECU, you got to be kidding me, I just cant see that happening, and if it does, someone will get a judge to revert that decision shortly after it has passed...

And at the end of the day, if ECU become protected by such law, there's a lot of tax payer that will be put out of job... Not something our government want...

Oh and when is the last time you heard of someone choosing a car because of the ECU? There's simply no ground for such law and their safety/environmental argument is flawed because of the 1st loophole I mentioned, a scratch build firmware or ECU will likely be less safe and environmental because it will have a lot less testing and improvement iteration. The DMCA is there to protect intellectual property, not save the environment or make people life safer.

Last edited by mad; 04-23-2015 at 11:32 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 11:40 AM
Senior Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad View Post
I can understand for combine harvester, these are fully automated nowadays, much like driver-less car, there's huge developments and competitions in that sector so you can't blame them for trying to keep their competitive advantage. But an ECU, you got to be kidding me, I just cant see that happening, and if it does, someone will get a judge to revert that decision shortly after it has passed...

And at the end of the day, if ECU become protected by such law, there's a lot of tax payer that will be put out of job... Not something our government want...

Oh and when is the last time you heard of someone choosing a car because of the ECU? There's simply no ground for such law and their safety/environmental argument is flawed because of the 1st loophole I mentioned, a scratch build firmware or ECU will likely be less safe and environmental because it will have a lot less testing and improvement iteration. The DMCA is there to protect intellectual property, not save the environment or make people life safer.
I'm starting to feel better now, thanks Mad.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 12:09 PM
mad

hehe, I'd be much more worried about the day driver-less car are the norm and it become illegal to drive a car... yes they are talking about that, I'm likely going to see that in my life time... But then I reassure myself, how is the government gonna replace the money they make giving me ticket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode