WK2 Only-Ski Racks? - Page 4 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
WK2 SRT8 General Discussion This section is for the general discussion of the second generation Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 08:48 AM
Junior Member
 
tuned8e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loud8 View Post
How long did it take for the dealer to get the rails in? My dealer is saying they can't order them right now.

Thinking I'll be trying a different dealer tomorrow and see if they have more useful brains.


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Actually I lucked out - on the other forum a user there upgraded his OEM functional rails to aftermarket ones made by "Rack Attack" (It's a chain of stores commonly found near popular ski destinations) either way, he was nice enough to send me his

Ben
2012 Grand Cherokee Laredo Altitude
Bright White
tuned8e is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 09:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ontario/British Columbia soon
Posts: 464
Thanks: 1
Thanked 38 Times in 32 Posts
WK2 Only-Ski Racks?

That is lucky. I'm wondering if I'd have better luck at an American dealership the a Canadian one.
loud8 is offline  
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 10:06 AM
Junior Member
 
tuned8e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loud8 View Post
That is lucky. I'm wondering if I'd have better luck at an American dealership the a Canadian one.
If I were in your shoes I would say screw the dealer and locate online -

Posted previously but search on google for these part numbers:

55079172AI (Right)
5079173AI (Left)

Those (from what I can see) should be the entire assembly - this would be "housing" which is the outter black plastic and the stainless bright rail that is the actual functional piece to this equation. If you find a place online that has a price - I would call or e-mail the website to confirm they even have it.
tuned8e is offline  
post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 03:47 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How did you get the front part on? (closet to the front of the car). I have managed to figure the rest of it out. However, the front looks like it needs a bracket of sorts. Everything on the bar goes on just fine except for the front area which seems to require a bracket of sorts. I have spoken to two dealers here and they have no clue as to what it is.
m3patel is offline  
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 03:55 PM
Junior Member
 
tuned8e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3patel View Post
How did you get the front part on? (closet to the front of the car). I have managed to figure the rest of it out. However, the front looks like it needs a bracket of sorts. Everything on the bar goes on just fine except for the front area which seems to require a bracket of sorts. I have spoken to two dealers here and they have no clue as to what it is.
I have the full instruction - howto over at jeep garage I would send you the link but apparently these two forums have "beef" with each other - look me up over there, same username

but in general - that front clips on, at least I clipped it on using the same bolt not torqued down fully (just like the rear)
tuned8e is offline  
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 08:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ontario/British Columbia soon
Posts: 464
Thanks: 1
Thanked 38 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuned8e View Post
I have the full instruction - howto over at jeep garage I would send you the link but apparently these two forums have "beef" with each other - look me up over there, same username

but in general - that front clips on, at least I clipped it on using the same bolt not torqued down fully (just like the rear)
Did you lock tight the 2 bolts you didn't tighten down fully?
loud8 is offline  
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Junior Member
 
tuned8e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loud8 View Post
Did you lock tight the 2 bolts you didn't tighten down fully?
It wasn't even necessary - trust me. Try this for yourself - take off one side of your decorative (non-functional) rails. Now - put a bolt back in one of the points and turn it in almost all the way. You will see it isn't going anywhere. For true paranoids - maybe a mild loc tite would help you sleep better at night
tuned8e is offline  
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 10:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ontario/British Columbia soon
Posts: 464
Thanks: 1
Thanked 38 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuned8e View Post
It wasn't even necessary - trust me. Try this for yourself - take off one side of your decorative (non-functional) rails. Now - put a bolt back in one of the points and turn it in almost all the way. You will see it isn't going anywhere. For true paranoids - maybe a mild loc tite would help you sleep better at night
Cool, thanks for all the info, il try and find your thread on the other site.

I will probably be moving soon, so I want these on my roof before too long as a "just in case" situation. And would be nice if I ever want to take my kayaks elsewhere too.
loud8 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roof Racks flunati1 WK1 SRT8 General Discussion 7 02-02-2010 02:32 PM
detachable ski racks? kwoody87 WK1 General Performance Discussion 4 11-12-2008 12:40 AM
looking to trade roof racks mrbillmratin Mid-Atlantic 0 05-24-2008 12:32 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome