Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Feedback from 2017 owners?

5K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  TeamViper 
#1 ·
Would love to hear some feedback specifically from 2017 owners. I know the vehicle isn't new but since the slight refresh, you never know if subtle nuances have popped up. Would particularly like to hear from those of you that had older models (whether it be the 5 speed or older 8 speed model) and your thoughts comparing the two in all regards.

#8 ·
At first I didn't like the new arrangement of the gauges (speedo is on the left) but after a while it has grown on me. The brake dust seems to be worse on the 17 VS the 15 and personally I don't like the minor changes to the front grill. There are some new options on the configuration menu and apps that I do like. Lane departure feature is cool but not 100% accurate. Other than that, everything seems to be about the same (except this one has a lot less miles on it :smile2:. Seems to drive and perform identically etc, etc... I'll probably buy a Trackhawk after they are out for for a few months if they seem to be everything they are claiming and don't have any major problems. Until then, I'm happy with my 17.

#9 ·
Love my 2017 JGCSRT!

I came from a 2006 Jeep SRT8 so 11 yrs later and there is just so much more that I love on the new vehicle! Trans is awesome compared to that godawful 5speed that was on the previous model. I was going to wait for the Trackhawk but unfortunately my 06 got rear ended by a transport so I had no choice to get something new.

#11 ·
I love my '17 compared to my '14. I felt the need to do lots of cosmetic fixes/mods to make the '14 look better... not so with the 2017. Only thing I dislike is the 2nd row lighting is now LED in the headliner, warm colored at that. So if I replace the regular bulbs with LEDs, there will now be color mismatch...

The slightly redesigned gauge area is 10x better looking, but still not as good as what my SRT Chargers had. I think the analog speedometer actually looks hideous, but I never look at it. Some little upgrades in the interior as far as trim and such is concerned as well. And with the Signature Laguna package, it honestly feels like an entirely different vehicle. I thought my '14 SRT was premium... this '17 with the Laguna blows it out of the water.

Yes, especially the fronts. I am replacing my pads this week with Power Stop Z23 (1053 for fronts, 1408 for rear). Have used these pads on my '15 SRT Charger, '14 SRT GC, '16 SRT Charger, and now will do the '17 SRT GC. I would never track with them or anything, but for daily driving, they're just fine and almost no dust. Plenty of Hellcat/392/Scat Pack owners use them.

Reactions: calgary.srt8
#12 ·
I have the upgraded black wheels and the dust does not look as bad on them as it makes the wheels look flat black/charcoal which goes well with my Granite SRT between baths... With that said, I will probably try the pads Nitemare mentioned above, thanks!

I had a 2006 supercharged SRT before and the ride is night and day difference. Plus the interior is light years ahead. My wife has a 2017 regular GC and other than the seats and the obvious power, there is not much difference inside. I have the upgraded stereo and while it is a bit better not sure I would pay the price for it again if I had to do it over.

#16 · (Edited)
Agree on the matte black wheels. They are dusty but really don't show it except for the red calipers. I had the factory chrome wheels on my 08 and they really showed the dust to the point I swapped out the factory pads and rotors for aftermarket. No dust but did not like the loss of braking bite. My 17 has the performance brake package and will keep it OEM. The matte black wheels are key.

#20 · (Edited)
Now that I have a few more miles on it (about 8k now), there are two things I've really noticed about the 17 VS the 15 models. The brake dust was terrible for the first few thousand miles but now it's only bad. (down a few notches from terrible) The exhaust sound is noticeably more subdued. I liked the sound of my 15 better. The dash layout is somewhat different on the 17 but I've grown to like. There seems to be more things/options available to the driver to customize/configure on the 17 (or maybe I just didn't notice them all on the 15 model). Lane departure is worthless. It only works about 50% of the time, at best, and it gets pissed off and shuts down if you take your hands off the wheel for too long. (Don't try that:wink2:)

Other than that there's no real differences to me. Performance seems the same (man these things really like cold and dry weather) handles the same, etc.

#22 · (Edited)
A few weeks ago my girl and I picked up our second SRT, I have a 15 and she picked up a 17. The transmission programming is different, it's a bit smoother so, that is the biggest aside from the updated gauges/shifter. I will say that I was not a fan of the new front however, on the white, it has grown on me a lot.

I will say that two options I do really like are the drive modes and the launch control set up. Also, I have noticed that the interior it a little quieter, I have a couple of rattles in my 15' where the 17' is extremely quiet.

Reactions: Snails
#24 ·
I haven't heard this on mine (ok...hers but it's still half mine ha ha) so...do you have a particular speed? In my '15 around 35mph if I make a sharp turn sometimes the transmission will shift a little rough as though it's between gears and doesn't quite know which gear to be in. It doesn't happen all the time however, once in a while in ECO mode it happens (anything outside of ECO it shifts perfectly).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.