Help me decide 2015 VS 2014 and warranty - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
WK2 SRT8 General Discussion This section is for the general discussion of the second generation Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Question Help me decide 2015 VS 2014 and warranty

Hey guys I'm looking for some advice on a purchase decision and some feedback on these cars.

So we want to replace my wife's car with a 2014 or 2015 JGC SRT and I've been researching for some time.
Understand I come from owning pretty much nothing but Toyota and a couple Mazda's and her current whip is a 2010 CX9.
At 94K and has had the AWD PTO replaced ( under warranty ) as well as recall done and replaced front control arms and steering links all free of charge.
Otherwise it's been a fine car and runs and drives nice. But...I've been eyeballing the JGC SRT for some time and test drove some last weekend.
We both love it.

Here's my dilemma. A local dealer has many of them on the lot at great prices none with any warranty left. I am looking at two 2015 with under 10K miles on them asking 51,800.
I think I can work them for less money but they are 6k and 8k miles respectively - virtually new cars and dealer demos. The trouble is they are from CANADA so no factory warranty whatsoever.
Dealer is providing a measly 3month 3k 50/50 warranty with purchase which is better than nothing but still a joke. The cars look fantastic and are pretty much loaded with the options I want.
Harmon cardon stereo, black on black, dual roof, and one of them has tow package. Spider monkey wheels on both.

Second choice is a private sale on a blue 2014 with just over 10k miles on it immaculate. All options including that brown leather upgrade. Only missing option is the three season tires.
With this, it would be one year older but I get a few months of the 3/36 and then all I will have left is a couple years of the 5y/100k powertrain warranty.

What are the common issues with these cars as the miles add up and what would be your decision?

Which would you buy the 2014 or 2015?
What should I look out for when test driving?

Honestly I don't expect the drivetrain to give me troubles for at least 4 years unless these things aren't built that well mechanically. I'll never make it to 100k in 2 years because we won't drive it that much. Wife is a teacher so summers it will be occasional fun car mostly and during school her commute is 30 miles a day or 3 gallons of gas right?
Here's the other thing, I can afford to repair it if the trans blows or rear diff or something major, I just don't want the hassles. Same goes for things like the display I've been reading about.

Thanks for everyone's advice and opinions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 01:21 PM
Major Contributing Member

You didn't give the price of the 14.

2013 SRT8 Vapor (1 of 400): Xpel Wrap | 10+HP Mopar Stripes | Billet Technology Catch Can | Mopar Gravity Package | 305/35 22 Wrapped Hellcat Reps
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 11:26 AM

I have a '14 and I've used my 3/36 warranty several times. All were relatively minor stuff - an O2 sensor, interior door and dash trim twice, plastic panel under w/s. So nothing major, but I did get use out of it.

So if it were me I'd go with the '14. At least you'll have a few months to get anything fixed that comes up. Personally I won't buy a used vehicle that is out of factory warranty. You never know for sure what you are getting so the warranty is essential in my mind.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 01:40 PM
Premium Member

I courted several cars from Canada when I was shopping, but in the end not having warranty and the differences in the powertrain warranty between Canada and US cars was a deterrent for me. If i were you, i'd branch out of your state and find a car. I know of a 14 with 19k miles with a few months of bumper to bumper left and you can buy a mopar extended warranty for it if you'd like for 49K at a BMW dealer. It was one of the two i was choosing between. IF it were me and my money, i would steer away from the Canadian cars.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 02:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I personally would not buy a 2014 or 2015 Jeep SRT8 without a long extended comprehensive warranty period(I am talking years here not a couple of B.S months). It is just too much of a gamble based on what I know about that vehicle in my opinion. Pay a small amount for a warranty now or pay a lot in repairs and downtime later JMO Good Luck on whatever decision you make!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2006 JEEP 426 SRT8 "IN TRAINING" ----INFERNO RED[Goodies are always on the way
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
Stage 6 QA1 Adjustable Shocks, Paramount Stage II Valve Body, Paramount TCM
, Innovate MTX-L Wideband

Fluidyne Customized Radiator
Speedy's Customized Transmission Cooler Setup
More to come

If it's Cheap and Reliable it aint Fast
If it's Cheap and Fast it aint Reliable
If it's Fast and Reliable it aint Cheap

Last edited by SPEEDDEMON; 03-30-2017 at 02:43 PM.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Ok guys I really appreciate the sage advice.
Not a dig on Jeeps or anyone's car but generally speaking Jeeps are not reputably reliable.
Consumer reports ranks them near the bottom and I get similar feedback from independent mechanics I know. Matter of factly mine told me yesterday I was crazy for thinking of buying a newer jeep with no warranty.

So the guy selling the 14 is listing it at 52K which I think is his starting point and he'll take less. If I'm really interested then I'll start talking turkey after I look at the car.
If I'm able to work a better price, that seems like a better option to me as well. The only PITA is the out of state sale transaction which I've never done. I am still figuring all this out with SOS office requirements.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Tried to post a pick linked to the autotrader add but not high enough post count yet!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 03:28 PM
Thread Derailer

Thanked 1,243 Times in 865 Posts
If you're going to mod your Jeep then guys on here complain about voided warranty. My Canadian '15 is a wonderful vehicle and I've baked two rear ends and one motor. Everything else has been fine. I've covered my own warranty knowing full well from the start I was going to do a couple'o'mods.

PB 10.998 @ 126.8
2015 Jeep GC SRT
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passmg2 View Post
If you're going to mod your Jeep then guys on here complain about voided warranty. My Canadian '15 is a wonderful vehicle and I've baked two rear ends and one motor. Everything else has been fine. I've covered my own warranty knowing full well from the start I was going to do a couple'o'mods.

LOL well no mods planned for me for some time except maybe an intake because I won't be able to help myself and I can swap the OEM back on to take it into the dealer for anything assuming I got with the 14.
I previously had a Mazdaspeed 3 bought new and I went through this conflict. No mods so I don't void the warranty and then as soon as the warranty was up, start modding. Never had any problems with the car and the intake made a tremendous difference ( turbo ). Sold it before downpipe race pipe mods because FWD torque steer was fierce enough as it was and it made no sense to go farther with it. Plus my kids didn't fit in the back seats well anymore.

Appreciate you playing devils advocate on the 15 and the other side of the argument.
Curious what kind of figures parts and labor for a 6.4 ( assuming you went built after that ) and replacing the rear diff? Any trans troubles?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 05:02 PM

If you buy any late model FCA vehicle without a comprehensive warranty, you are asking for trouble. These trucks are a blast to drive and fun to look at....but they are NOT going to win any reliability awards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode