Anyone gone from Ram 1500 to SRT? - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
WK2 SRT8 General Discussion This section is for the general discussion of the second generation Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Anyone gone from Ram 1500 to SRT?

Hey guys,

I'm in need of a new vehicle and I'm really considering the 15/16 SRT. Couple of questions, is the ride quality better in auto or sport then compared to my quad cab 2012 ram sport? Anyone go from a truck to a SUV? I have 160k kms on mine and I need to get rid of it before it's worth nothing. I do about 35,000 to 40,000 kms per year so I know the jeep won't be worth much either after 4 or so years but I'm looking for a change. I'm not too afraid of the fuel economy as my truck isn't that great either. But I'm in outside sales and am looking for a bit of reliability and some fun at the time that I don't use it for work.

Been trying to read as much as I can for the past few months on here and I keep reading mixed reviews on reliabaility. The small stuff I don't sweat, like the dash or cf peaking off. It's transmission issues and driveline I'm more concerned about. I know it will eat tires a bit more as well but like I said I don't wanna get a toy car just to rip around as this thing could fill all my voids. I got a 2 year old as well that will be in there and I don't want him to knock his teeth out if the ride is that harsh lol. I don't think the ride is as great on my truck as it's a short cab with a short wheel base so I'm hoping this will be a bit better.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I will try to take one for a demo ride but was looking for some first hand experience from truck owners.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:35 AM

The only way for you tell is to test drive one and see what you think. Something like the ride is so subjective. Lots of guys find the ride firm and hate the runflats. I find it just fine and don't mind them at all. In auto mode the ride is definitely softer. Sport and track it's quite firm.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to J-Cooz For This Useful Post:
Whoopazz (03-18-2017)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:59 AM
Thread Derailer

Thanked 1,225 Times in 847 Posts
No comparison. Go for the Jeep.
Whoopazz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

As for tuning there is only really one qualified tuner and he comes from Jersey.... -Brother BJB

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, ya I will definitely take one for a spin. It's just living with one is totally different then taking one for a demo ride.

Last edited by Whoopazz; 03-18-2017 at 09:04 AM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:43 AM

Agree and if you replace the run-flat tires with normal tires it's even smoother, still corners well for normal driving styles and for me was worth the tradeoff of slightly better ride and far cheaper tires. Either way will be better than the pickup and a lot more fun.
wanderlust likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patrickmurray For This Useful Post:
wanderlust (03-18-2017), Whoopazz (03-18-2017)
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 11:12 AM

SRT babay!!
Passmg2 and Whoopazz like this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 12:31 PM

Its going to feel more firm then a truck other then a 3/4 ton or 1 ton without the bed loaded especially given the increased suspension travel of yours but it still feels less firm and way way better over bumps then a car with a sport suspension. Ride is good and it will have less lateral movements when you turn but the wide relatively low profile tires on certain surfaces behave different then a truck with higher sidewalls. Steering should feel faster then your truck and responsiveness will be way better. I haven't driven a truck since 2010 but thats my impressions based on past experience. I like it way way better then a truck but less then a sports car. That said in any kind of inclement weather or on any long road trip it is great! Very comfy.
The Following User Says Thank You to wanderlust For This Useful Post:
Whoopazz (03-18-2017)
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:38 PM

Sold my '05 SRT-10 Ram for my '15 SRT Jeep. Granted, the '05 trucks are not as nice inside as yours (although the Recaro seats in the SRT-10 are very nice). Also, the SRT-10 truck has a pretty harsh ride compared to a '12 like yours. But the Jeep SRT is a significantly better vehicle for daily driving. I still get plenty of use out of the rear stowing area of the Jeep, and I lay the rear seats down every now and then to haul stuff. It seems very versatile to me, which is what I need.

I've owned a regular bed truck since '99, and no longer have one...so this is new territory for me, too, but I've had the Jeep since November and it has been a great vehicle and very practical for my needs.
Whoopazz likes this.

Current Stable:
'15 Billet Silver GCSRT...TVS SC
'02 Lingenfelter TT Z06...650+rwhp
'12 Lingenfelter SC Grand Sport...600+rwhp
'14 Audi SQ5...stock (wife says "no mods")
The Following User Says Thank You to WA 2 FST 2 For This Useful Post:
Whoopazz (03-19-2017)
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:03 PM

I traded my 12 Laramie half ton in on a 16 SRT. Ride quality is generally better but if you hit big holes / bumps you'll notice it more than the truck. Aside from the power and looks everything else in the SRT is a huge step up. Cabin noise is a lot quieter than my ram, fuel economy is actually a little better in the SRT (I do mainly highway miles) i wouldn't go back to a truck I'm very happy with the jeep I would highly recommend it. Definitely look for one with the upgraded sound system I had the "upgraded" alpine system in my ram which was terrible the HK system is well worth the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Whoopazz likes this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again for the feedback guys. That's my whole issue as well. I tend to put everything inside the cab of my truck and not really the box, unless it's a huge item. And will definitely get one with upgraded stereo as the ones here I've seen come fully loaded. I've never seen one without sunroof, Brembos, HK stereo or anything like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode