Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Disble 4cyl drone/vibration 2016?

11K views 37 replies 20 participants last post by  ShoreJeep 
#1 · (Edited)
Does anyone have any more updates and tuners available for removing four-cylinder mode preventing drone and vibrations. I checked back Forums but couldn't find anything. [/B]

#16 ·
go into where you set a custom setup.... leave everything street except the option to have paddles... turn that on.

Then it'll ride like "auto" but you can still use the paddle shifter as well if you wanted to without having to turn the dial to sport.

I use this setting alot. Though I put the steering on sport or track. I like when its a little harder to turn the wheel, maybe cause I'm a truck driver and its more
like my work truck?

cheers!

#11 ·
Leave the mode selector dial in Auto, but pull the transmission selector back from Drive to go into Sport shifting. Standard "cushy" ride & no MDS. Yes, it holds gears longer, but is that really that large of a problem?

#12 ·
Are the '14's up different then the 2012's? I hear a lot of guys say to put it in sport mode and it will shut off MDS but on mine it doesn't. Even in track mode it will kick in and out of MDS.

#22 · (Edited)
Very interesting thread. So it has been established that the sport mode or a customized set up with sport trans eliminates mds. What about track mode? On my 2017 SRT, I have my custom with trans set to Track, awd set to sport and everything else street. I noticed very aggressive shifting and the grunt was noticeably louder compared to sport.

So my question is: Does track mode also eliminate mds? Sorry if this has been touched upon before but I always read posts suggesting that sport is the only option to get rid of mds.

#24 ·
I jut click the shifter into sport mode on my 2014 when that vibration kicks in. The exhaust sound, and vibration is a huge fail to be honest, as its so bad that its not worth the mpg savings to suffer through it.

In my case it sounds like the whole glove compartment is vibrating like a bass speaker. On the new models I think they changed how the shifter works so there isn't an easy click right into sport shift?

#25 ·
Agree completely with the sound. I have no idea why FCA has had such a hard time with cylinder deactivation drone. I have driven other cars with this system and big V8's and I have never heard one with such bad drone.

I am happy we have the option of Sport mode to get out of it when it's particularly annoying. I don't mind it on longer trips on flat 55mph+ roadways, but I can't take it on anything less. When it's going into and out of 4 cyl mode over and over it annoys the crap out of me. So now anything 45mph or less I go with Sport.

#26 ·
I have noticed no considerable difference in mileage with 4cyl on or off. I personally think it's a stupid feature. For the 1 mpg you might save, you add considerable complication to the engine and reduce the quality of the driving experience for the owner.

By all means, keep it for the low-end models where people may be buying with fuel efficiency in mind, but why the hell would you keep in in a 500hp performance SUV?

#28 ·
I would assume it is designed more to please the FEDs then it is to aggravate the intended user. Let's just be grateful that we are able to easily go out and purchase 500-700hp factory vehicles with such ease instead of being forced to drive some ECO POS.

#27 ·
Funny you say that. The best mileage I have ever gotten was 25.6 MPG on a 300 mile trip. In order to get that, I had to jump hills by accelerating down them, and coasting up a bit to keep average speed good, but lay off of the throttle. Its an annoying way to drive though.

Typically, depending on wind which really seems to hurt the jeep, about 18-20mpg is what I get on long trips. I have seen really no difference between eco on, or eco off, and have driven the entire time in sport mode and found no real difference. Now I think the eco is more for the stop and go sorts of throttle work and trims the fuel for better mpg or something, but frankly the driving characteristics suck with it on regardless. It does give 1-2 mpg better in town though with ECO on. For longer, stable, driving on highways, I really don't see the modes making much of a difference.

I actually drove in sport mode once, and kept it out of 8th gear because for whatever reason that day the exhaust and speed were just at that perfect point to make a crappy headache of a sound. I still made 19mpg. I really question what any of that stupid shit does besides become something that can malfunction. I suppose in reality, they really just allow better mpg in perfect conditions in testing to help meet CAFE standards. I think the engine off and on features of high end german cars, save a lot more gas in stop and go traffic that anything else.

I will say that the cylinder deactivation in the new GM LT1 seems to do something, because the corvettes just purrrrr and get great mpg and you can't even tell that anything changes with the motor. To be honest though, I had a 2012 300SRT and I never noticed any of the ECO or cylinder deactivation stuff create more noise. I think part of the problem is, the Jeep has some of the worse sound dampening in the wheel well of any freaking car I've ever owned. I intend to fix that this summer. With a little vibration and sound dampening in the wheel wells and on the floor boards I think it will make a big difference.

#29 ·
I will say that I had a sensor go bad for a month or so and it deactivated the MDS. While it was nice not ever hearing that drone, my mileage did drop significantly. I don't have actual numbers but it was substantial. I guess this is mainly because I drive highway 90% of the time so for me dropping the 4 cylinders makes a big difference. If you are doing more city driving, staying in sport mode might not have such a bid effect.

#35 ·
I did some testing last night on my drive back from my parents house. Going 114mk/h with cruise set and Eco on I was getting 20-21mpg. Switching to sport mode (no 4cyl) it would immediately drop to 18-19mpg and stay there. I did this multiple times and the results were the same each time. On my 3 hour drive I averaged 20.7mpg wi Eco mode which is pretty decent!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.