Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Questions on this modified MY15 SRT that I just drove

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  J. Dub 
#1 · (Edited)
I am shopping for a SRT. Preferably one with red interior.

Found this pre-owned Cars for Sale: Used 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee in 4WD SRT, Little Rock AR: 72210 Details - Sport Utility - Autotrader white SRT near my house and drove it. Compared to my e92 335i that is also heavily modified, it felt slow. However, this is the fastest SUV in my price range and I have to get an SUV for work sadly.

That said, I came across with some questions for you guys:::

-Is there a MY SRT to avoid?
-Why does the carfax show that there are two owners yet it says 1 owner on the carfax? HERE IS CARFAX link CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2015 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE SRT-8: 1C4RJFDJ0FC713157
Looks like someone bought it in July than brought it back to the dealer the next day. Strange right?
-Anything to watch out for?
-This jeep has 22" wheels on 305 wide tires. Should I have ball joints checked out?
-Should I worry that it has dealer plates on the car? I understand dealer driven cars are ragged on. Here is the ebay ad showing the dirty engine and dealer plate Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT | eBay

-Do you guys get your oil analysed like we do over on the BMW forums? If so, anything to look for? Before I buy a SRT I will have the oil overnighted to my engineer to have him look at the engine health and thought I'd ask you guys what to look for on the results.
-The dealership says it is a Certified SRT. Yet, on the jeep.com site under find certified vehicles, the SRT doesn't show up. Weird.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Note, it is technically AWD, not 4WD as the advertisement states. Just because the dealership has certified the vehicle for a warranty, doesn't mean it will be on Jeep's site at all.

Reactions: madcoder
#6 ·
Agreed, not sure why they labeled it 4wd other than here in AR the ******** love the abreviaton.
Speaking of certified, I wonder if it's only certified through the dealer vs being TRULY certified through all Jeep dealer networks like the real jeep certification. I will ask them when I go back up there Wednesday to look at the Jeep again.
'14 is easier to tune but nearly identical to the '15s. No reason to avoid either

Im only seeing 1 owner. Looks like it was sold to a different dealer or two last month which is kind of strange
Check out 22" tire options. Not many good tires to choose from, if any. Definitely check the alignment and all the surround bolts to make sure they are tight.
That engine bay pic is ridiculous. At least wipe it down before putting a $60k price tag on it.
No oil analysis on mine yet, I dont think I will. I used to on my supercharged Cobra.
I will want to overnight the oil analysis on this SRT especially since it was driven as a dealer car (due to dealer plates on it) before I buy it. I want to make sure that engine is wearing correctly and shows no signs of premature aging.
Yes strange on carfax it says sold than the next day it's back on the market in July. Very weird.
Ok I will check the alignment and bolts thank you for that tip.
Yes the tires on this SRT are 305 wide pirelli's. I just find it hard to believe someone would tint this rig, put these 22's and what look like brand new tires, plus an aftermarket exhaust, then trade it in. I'm never this lucky and this is why I am skeptical and wanted to check with you guys here on the forums before buying it.

I have read the 15's require you to send the ecu off to be tuned. I'm guessing that is still the case in 2016?
Miles are pretty low.
I like the red interior. I actually like the wheels. That price isn't great but it isn't terrible if the car is basically mint.
Looks like some dealer trading, I wouldn't be too concerned. Yes the peeps may have driven the SRT a bit to have fun. That's what happens with used performance cars, but I wouldn't be too worried about that.
I would 100% have them do an oil change and an alignment for free as part of purchasing that Jeep. I would also have them replace the brake pads. I would also look into the MOPAR warranty. Check TD autofinance for financing, I got a great rate through them - they are or were associated with Chrysler.
I think the 22" look great. There are more tires choices in that size than our stock 295/45/20. I have decided on 21" for my SRT if I ever upgrade the wheels, but those are tasteful.
Agreed, the 22's are great looking on this rig and the tires being 305 have plenty of meat.
It isn't mint. I already see signs of wear on the outer bolster of the drivers seat. I agree, I am in love with the red interior. Although very dark compared to my e92 BMW I have right now.
You mentioned the BRAKE PADS. Funny you say that. If you look close the rotors are actually slotted. I have NEVER seen a SRT from the factory with SLOTTED rotors. I'm guessing it's aftermarket?
Thanks on the financing tip.
FYI, I got my 2015 SRT with 11k on it, no exhaust or upgraded wheels for 55 so they might have wiggle. Oh and mine was way cleaner that that! I can't believe they would even post those pictures of the engine bay!!
I agree, what a silly photo to have with all that dust. It just tells me that when the original owner traded it in the dealer owner or whoever put those dealer plates on there had his fun with this truck and then now is deciding to sell it. A shame really to not clean that up or care for a vehicle.

#3 ·
'14 is easier to tune but nearly identical to the '15s. No reason to avoid either

Im only seeing 1 owner. Looks like it was sold to a different dealer or two last month which is kind of strange

Check out 22" tire options. Not many good tires to choose from, if any. Definitely check the alignment and all the surround bolts to make sure they are tight.

That engine bay pic is ridiculous. At least wipe it down before putting a $60k price tag on it.

No oil analysis on mine yet, I dont think I will. I used to on my supercharged Cobra.

Reactions: RJM
#4 ·
Miles are pretty low.

I like the red interior. I actually like the wheels. That price isn't great but it isn't terrible if the car is basically mint.

Looks like some dealer trading, I wouldn't be too concerned. Yes the peeps may have driven the SRT a bit to have fun. That's what happens with used performance cars, but I wouldn't be too worried about that.

I would 100% have them do an oil change and an alignment for free as part of purchasing that Jeep. I would also have them replace the brake pads. I would also look into the MOPAR warranty. Check TD autofinance for financing, I got a great rate through them - they are or were associated with Chrysler.

I think the 22" look great. There are more tires choices in that size than our stock 295/45/20. I have decided on 21" for my SRT if I ever upgrade the wheels, but those are tasteful.

#8 · (Edited)
Reactions: J. Dub
#9 ·
I'm in the market for one still but many carfax records I've seen several show more owners than actual. Lots of dealers seem to either have affiliates in other states, or trade each other cars, and every time they title the car in a state carfax gets confused a bit about "owner" changes.

There was one I called about that said it had 5 owners and the dealer explained they just relocated the car from their own lots thinking the market was better in one state vs another. So I don't trust the owner counts.

It's more important to check the mileage between "owners". If there are more than 1k miles than I consider that a true ownership change, or a lemon that no test drives end up purchasing.

#12 ·
Yeah it is quite confusing and alarming but the thing I have found is that the number of owners on page 1 of the CarFax is THE real answer and all "sale" talk within the report is as mentioned just movement of the vehicle between wholesale hands, not retail owners. If page 1 says 5 owners it's had 5 legit owners, if 1 then 1...

#11 ·
eh, maybe had different prefs on pads vs oem and just did a set package same time the new rims/tires?

that's a decent wad to lay down for alot of folks but given that this is a pricey Red Vapor Special Edition it's not suprising...

blurb on the Red Vapor edition...only 198 White Red Vapor were made for US....mine, this one and 196 more....:grin2:

Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 - 2015 SRT8 Red Vapor edition

Here's the Equipment listing for it...

Attachments

Reactions: J. Dub
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.