Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Keeping a black SRT clean?

4K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  meeper 
#1 ·
I really prefer the SRT in black.

I have a black car that never leaves the garage if it is going to rain because taking care of it is a PITA (It also has raw aluminum wheels and they are a bigger PITA than the paint to keep clean).

My daily drivers are silver or charcoal as they can really hide the dirt. As the SRT will be getting wet, I settled on getting a Granite one. Now as I have been shopping I have really fallen for the black ones.

Since I will be driving this in the rain can I get opinions from other black SRT owners of how they keep it looking good (outside of the obvious)? Is there anything about SRT version of black that it hides it at all? Or is it just like every other black vehicle? Thx.

#2 ·
I'm on my 3rd black srt. 2 challengers and the jeep. It is a pita if you want to keep them in showroom quality and daily them. They show spider webs and swirl marks easily. You need to keep a good sealant on it and use proper washing once you have the paint in good condition. But nothing different than other black cars. Check out Zaino, it works well.

Reactions: bxcharger
#4 ·
Literally impossible to keep a black jeep clean. As soon as you get done washing it, it turns into a dust magnet. Especially the back hatch.

2014 300 SRT8 / 2007 JEEP SRT8

Reactions: bxcharger
#5 · (Edited)
Check out CeramicPro. I have it on my black 15, my white 12 a6 with matte grey wheels, my gf's pearl kia, and had it on the 14 granite jeep I had. They still get dusty but you never wax it. Gets a annual update which is another layer and it always looks new. I have used Zanio and most of the others on the market for my last show cars. This is better and permanent as it bonds to the paint. Hell on white if it rains hard enough it looks like it just got a wash...I have them do the wheels and calipers as well. The wheels come clean after a week of brake dust in 2-3 mins with a microfiber and some quick n slick.

Oh and on the jeep for a bit of extra front end protection since its basically a brick I did xpel on the front from the hood line down. On black its so hard to even notice.

Oh and if you do go granite it works amazing on that as well!

And finally a suggestion for any color jeep you buy...have the xpel put on the hockey stick shaped wheel arch in front of the rear wheel and the rockers. I didnt have it for my first 3 weeks and got chips. Since having it they havent got worse...

Attachments

#6 ·
Coatings and sealants will help protect the paint. Which is all you need to be worried about as nothing, besides a vacuum tight garage, will keep black clean.

Practice safe wash methods and keep a good layer of protection on it at all times.

#7 ·
I was in the same boat. I swore I would never own another black car but just fell in love with the black SRT. I have two coats of Chemical guys Jet Seal on mine with a top coat of Carnuba Wax. When it rains the water beads off like crazy and it helps keep it cleaner.

The paint seems fairly resilient to swirl marks, certainly much better than my last car. Proper washing method (2 bucket) is a must with a black car.

#8 ·
I will have to research some of the sealants you guys mention. A dealer was mentioning whatever they use but I thought it was just an add on.

I use Wolfgang paint sealant 3.0 now on the black car, two bucket with grit guards, all that stuff. I guess I just needed a reality check of what I am about to get myself into with the SRT.

And thisisatest - What is the story behind the SRT picture? That looks incredible! What wheels are they? Thx.

#10 · (Edited)
And thisisatest - What is the story behind the SRT picture? That looks incredible! What wheels are they? Thx.
The pic was one of the ones takes by tag motorsports and vossen for the wheels. They are the Vossen VPS-303s. Here is a link to mine Vossen Wheels - VOSSEN FORGED: PRECISION SERIES: VPS-303 I have posted more of them in the wheel section here http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/160-wk2-srt8-wheels-tires/215985-finally-they-here.html

I didnt want just anyone washing mine and Ive become way to lazy to do it like I used to...So the place that did my CeramicPro does my details monthly. Its 35 a wash but they do the inside and out. It is more if its not coated with CP but with the CP it comes clean in minutes. Nothing sticks to her. Honestly I used to do the Zanio route on my show cars and its great stuff but I spent more time detailing then I did driving them...This stuff looks just as good if not better after a 30 min wash. It just takes the initial price and time to get it baked on :)

#9 ·
Since mine is a daily driver I just pay for a "monthly" car wash that allows me to drive through as much as I want for a set monthly fee. For $18/month I can wash it as many times as i want.

#11 ·
A drive through mar-wash?

#13 ·
mine stays clean very easily, i only use Adams polishes products on it and wash properly. if it rains it never gets spots and if its dusty i can just blow the dust off i have the paint clay bar'd and sealed really well with a good wax too, garage kept so the sun doesn't break the paint down is really important

#14 ·
I am finding it impossible to keep my black beast clean.
I owned 2 black wranglers before the SRT and never had a hard time keeping them clean.
Told the wife its because I spent all the money buying the thing it thinks its all high maintenance ;)

#15 ·
I traded in a 2015 black Escalade on my 2016 white SRT night.. I have had a few black vehicles and always say I will never buy another. Believe it or not white vehicles and way easier to keep clean. I wish someone would make splash guards for these things. I just had Xpel put on it everywhere I could but it still get sh!t all over the sides of it..

#16 ·
The ones sold over in Europe come with the guards. I don't know the part number but I know they are available.

How are you liking the Xpel? That's the next to-do on my list after I take off the front Jeep logo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.