Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Buy new strategy 2015 v 2016

12K views 123 replies 21 participants last post by  viking757 
#1 ·
Looking at new SRT's and comparing between the 15 and 16 models. I do like the changes in the 16 on paper. Tough for me to understand the difference in the shifter as I have not seen or used it on either year. I assume I will be fine with either one. One factor is that I really like the new lightweight thin spoke wheels as a $1300 option. But I see them equipped on so few on the ones on dealer lots so they are hard to come by unless I special order.

I have a dealer at about $7500 off MSRP on a 15 optioned exactly the way I want (Granite paint, standard black interior, HK stereo, Pano roof, tow, black chrome spider monkey wheels) with little to no negotiation. But of course it is a "new" vehicle that is about to be 2 years old...Also would need to travel to get it, but that is OK. Faster to get thru the break in period...

The question is how much more is a 16 worth at this point? 17's are about to hit the lot and ordering started today. Has anyone gotten anywhere near $8k off on a 16? Is it possible? Could the 15's be discounted any more or do you think it has hit the floor at around the $8k off mark? The dealer I am talking to has already started with the "we are not making much on this" talk....as they often do...

The additional powertrain warranty on the 15 is a factor as well. I would be heavily considering a Maxcare warranty. Do they charge less for these on the 15 because it has an extended factory warranty vs the 16 model? Anyone know? Sorry I haven't gotten to researching the warranty yet.

Finally any financing strategies to share? The wife has exceptional credit. The last new car 3 years ago we got a 1.6% rate on 60m with no manufacturer incentives. Jeep came back with an initial 4.9% rate which is a dealbreaker. PenFed is offering 1.99 on 60m....any other low rate providers you guys are aware of?

Thanks in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
I am actually looking to get back into the SRT market tonight. I have seen folks post that they are getting up to $6500 off MSRP on 2016. Check the SRT Night thread. I was given $4100 off MSRP over the phone. I am going to attempt to get $6K+ off MSRP or I will look at a used 2015 that they also have with 5K miles.

The 2016 shifter is more traditional moving into specific slots on the shifter for reverse and drive where the 2015 is centered and while it moves by pulling and pushing into gears. It is always centers on the shifter.

Financing... my credit union is 1.8 for up to 60 months.

Hoping others can post up on where we should be on pricing, good luck.

#3 ·
Check some of the reputable used car valuation sites such as NADA, Edmunds, TrueCar, etc. The '15 despite being brand new has already lost a lot of value just for being a 2015. Doesn't matter if it is 1 day of service with 1 mile - the value has tanked. And the dealer doesn't want to take any more of a hit than they have to, so they won't budge on price unless they need it gone... which they do, but the question is how badly.

If you plan on keeping the vehicle awhile, this doesn't matter. Go with whatever the best deal is you can get. But if you plan on trading this vehicle any time soon, like within 5 years, you'd be better off with the 2016.

#4 ·
I was in the same situation a month or so ago. I ended up deciding on the 2016. To me the suspension changes, shifter, and other small changes were important. The 2016 shifter is worlds better than the POS other one.

My father works for Chrysler so I ended up getting a huge discount. I got a 2016 for $9400 off plus 0% financing for 60 months. This is in Canada. It was a no brainier for me at that point.

Best of luck in your search

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

#5 · (Edited)
Wait Wtf...

I thought maybe this was an old thread but no!

So the other day i was at the dealer in Fla and they wanted to sell me a new rigg @ $600 over inv let alone take $4100 off inv ! Then 2 days later was in Ny and went in to 2 dealers over there and both where pretty much the same story! No such thing as 15's left (cause i'll gladly take a left over , even a demo w some miles ) and those dik's where like 17 or bust and one had a 16 built and on its way w no sale's order on it and still wanted to charge me msrp!!

Where are these dealer's that are giving disc's like this?

In addition i inquired about leases cause i just bought a new M5 to replace my existing one and got 67% residual from Bmw finaincial and the fla jeep dealer was @ 51% resid. and the Ny dealer was @ 54% resid.

I could literally build an X5 5.0 w a sticker of approx 80k (fully loaded) which is 10k over the sticker of all the jeep's i look'd at and build to order and drive it for hundred's lesss a mo.. Wtf

W an msrp of $69,600
harm kardon, pano roof , blk chrome monkey's the lease for 12k a year w 0 down was $1015. P mo , i just bought the Bmw w a sticker of 121k w a payment only a couple few hundred more a mo.. Make's no sens to me.

If anyone know's of a dealer w a left over 15 pls gimme the info

Neil

#8 ·
LI-SRT,

Try Koons Jeep in VA, they have 3 x 15' on the lot.

Koons.com

I will never forget that craptastic dealer. I had warranty work done to replace my lower control arms and I came back to my freshly painted calipers being damaged to hell. I had to get their GM involved before they decided to reimburse me. The service manager offered me a free car wash.

Avoid Koons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
...The additional powertrain warranty on the 15 is a factor as well. I would be heavily considering a Maxcare warranty. Do they charge less for these on the 15 because it has an extended factory warranty vs the 16 model? Anyone know? Sorry I haven't gotten to researching the warranty yet...
No...when I bought my '15 I was wondering the same thing but in reverse...is a 16 MVP more than on 15 because it kicks in sooner...answer no...in fact, a few weeks after I secured my MVP MaxCare Lifetime for my 15 FCA stopped offering Lifetime on the SRT for 15+ :frown2:....

#12 ·
I have a dealer at about $7500 off MSRP on a 15 optioned exactly the way I want (Granite paint, standard black interior, HK stereo, Pano roof, tow, black chrome spider monkey wheels) with little to no negotiation. But of course it is a "new" vehicle that is about to be 2 years old...Also would need to travel to get it, but that is OK. Faster to get thru the break in period...
You can negotiate a bigger discount. I just purchased a 15 today with a sticker of $73+. I got over 13k off of the sticker when all was said and done. :rocker:

Order banks are open for the 17s and they should be on the dealer floors in the next few months. They are motivated to move these 15s. I played several dealers against each other (the beauty of living in Southern Cal with lots of dealerships) and got multiple offers of $10k off sticker. There's one in Huntington Beach that they are advertising for $60k right now. I didn't pick that one because it had 250 miles on it (never titled), but still a smoking deal.

#15 · (Edited)
Here's the one that I mentioned was being offered for way less than that. If you can use offers from other dealers, sometimes that will loosen the wheels. Let them know you could buy this one in California and have it shipped for well less than their price. Send them the link so they can see for themselves. I did all of my negotiation by email and walked into 1 dealership to sign the paperwork once it was all set.

New 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT 4x4 For Sale in Orange County & Huntington Beach, CA | 1C4RJFDJ2FC861732

I played that ad against several dealers. Here were some that came close to getting my business:
Courtesy in San Juan Capistrano (had 1 2015)
Rancho in San Diego (Had 1 or 2)
Jack Powell in Escondido (Had 3)
Hooman in LA (Had 7 or 8)

All of them were willing to come of the sticker quite a bit...just not as much as the one I got.

By the way, the Jeep website won't list the 2015s when you do a search. I think it's because of the shifter recall. If you are looking in your area, you have to go to each dealer's website and search for them.

#16 ·
I was given two choices the last week. Well actually three. On a 15 old stock two hundred on dealer invoice on a 16 and,if I wanted to wait for the 17 a nickel over.

Now, I've purchased many vehicles through them prior, plus my father trained the new owners in the business. So they get me what ever I want.

I just don't like the new ones enough to purchase. You should be able to negotiation the price you actually feel comfortable spending.. Really comes down to supply and demand in your area.

#18 ·
I am in North Carolina and have just emailed every dealer in a 700 mi radius that has a 15 sitting on the lot that meets my criteria (MSRP @ $72,000).

We will see who is interested in making a deal at the end of the month. Once you go online there are a few dealers at $8k off listed on their site (some require to use their financing to get that price). One dealer shows $10,000 off also requiring their financing.

I have also been shopping used 14's and 15's. The cheapest ones you find online are grey market Canadian imports or have an accident on the carfax.

Locally in NC there is a 15 with 20,000 mi, pano, tow, black chrome spiders that wants $56,000 - best they will do.

I am not in a hurry, but once you start investing time, you really just want to get this over with!

#21 ·
Glad u know to avoid the Canadian ones (zero warranty)....avoid all 14's given 15 is better on a few things....20k/$6k mehh..

#25 ·
Well I am not finding many deals on the east coast for the leftover 15's. One dealer claimed they couldn't sell them due to the shifter recall. Best I can do is about $8k off of a $72k sticker. Most dealers only seem to want to take $6-$7k off. I did find a white one with 2k miles "new according to dealer" for $60k. $12k off. Will try to leverage that one.

#26 ·
I also wonder how many 15's are/were held up in the production/temp storage/dealer holds as a result of the stop-sale due to the recall...those will be hitting the supply soon, no? Maybe better deal on a 15 not yet released into supply but will be in a couple months "ish" ....just guessing

#27 ·
It would be fantastic to know if there are "hidden" 15's out there not being listed. I am assuming they are all showing in the new dealer inventory on the jeep site. I know someone mentioned you cannot see the 15's in the search but I have been able to find them.

#32 ·
whatchya thinkin'? used/new?

....fractured inventories at dealers who don't list on autotrader, etc... plus classifieds this forum and autotrader (most complete single site) and jeep.com and...depends what angle you are coming at your search from

#41 ·
Hi.....I got it for like $7,488 off MSRP...I drove a few of them yesterday.....most had under 50 miles on them (16, 21, 36) except the Dark Gray one which had like 311 miles on it...keep in mind for those don't know there is a warranty difference between the 15 and the 16 with the 15 having a better warranty which was my largest deciding factor...

Joe Harris

#42 ·
Are the 3 season tires worth anything? I live in North Carolina but do drive to ski areas in NC and WV during the winter and I make one trip to the Northeast in the winter.

If there was already a thread talking about these, sorry I didn't find it. What kind of tires are they?

Thanks

#43 ·
I can't really say one way or another honestly but I can tell you one thing I found interesting....While I was waiting for mine to get cleaned up they gave me a tour of the dealership and we made our way back to the service department....I started talking to a couple of the service reps and they both told me not to expect getting anymore than 20K out of the tires. They are Pirelli P-Zero's and from the reviews I've read, they aren't recommended for winter driving but winter down here in Texas usually lasts about 5 days :)

#44 ·
Those techs weren't kidding you. I got 25k miles out of mine and I rotated them almost monthly...lol...and they were bald. Call Pirelli and they tell you they expect you to get 10k out of them!! If you drive in snow, you will most surely die. I tried it once and lived to tell about it.

#45 ·
I think the baseline tires are also pirelli's. So you figure those have to be worth a few hundred dollars as well. So when you figure $900 for the 3 season option plus another 700 for the value of the base tires, are the 3 seasons really worth 400 per tire? My bet is that you could find other options for less than that.

#46 ·
at tire rack and others (stock 295/45/20 size):

P-Zero RF.....$514 ea
Scorpion Verde RF.....$421 ea

it's problematic, raw #'s are a no-brainer, overpaying if using the "option" to get factory P-Zero's...reality is u have to sell the base tires (Pirelli Scorpion Verde) for top buck to buy base and add the P-Zero's aftermarket...different answer for different situations on which way to go...do I need a decent winter tire? (buy base and reserve them for winter and buy P-Zero's net new), do/don't want to hassle with private sale of base tires (add tire option), etc....

#48 ·
I hear ya and agree but I have felt the edge of grip, on the stiffer run flat sidewall of the Verde all-seasons, at the track and am wondering if I would be happy with less (but how much?)....gotta decide before winter hits here...

Reactions: eskle
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.