Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

How To: 2014 Headlight DRL

61K views 88 replies 28 participants last post by  sweyer 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, so after being lazy for months and not finding any information on different forums I finally decided to figure this out and I had great results so I thought I would share. I'm open to any thoughts, constructive criticism, etc...

Step 1: Buy 2014 Jeep SRT8
Step 2: be upset for months that they'd make such gorgeous headlights and not have a factory option to have the parking light portion run as a DRL with the strip in the bumper
Step 3: Fix it

I had read previous posts and was worried that the 12V power to the parking lights was pulsed, ground at rest, etc... but that was not the case. Another major concern was how to get them to turn off for turn signal use. But I finally looked at my headlights yesterday and they do NOT turn off when the turn signal is engaged.

So here is what I did: very simple, I ran a wire from the DRL fuse in the fuse box to each headlamp attached to the DRL wire. I also attached a diode. The headlight ribbons are very bright after doing this mod to the DRL wires. I recommend placing a relay so that they dim appropriately when headlights are turned on, otherwise the ribbons are too bright at night and distract other drivers. I've included the instructions and connections at the very bottom.

DRL fuse: 10 amp F40
Driver's side DRL wire: White with Yellow stripe
Passenger side DRL wire: White with Dark Blue stripe (there are 2, so use the one that is 3 terminals in from the corner, pic below)

I'm including parking light wire colors for reference only. If you use parking light wires instead of the DRL wires then the intensity will be lower on the light ribbons and amber corner markers in headlight will be illuminated, but then you will NOT need a relay. Your choice.
Driver's side parking light wire: White with Brown stripe
Passenger's side parking light wire: White with Orange stripe

Diode I used was from radioshack part number 276-1144 and worked great

Diode package:

How to orient the diode with white stripe towards headlights:

Here is where I soldered wire to the fuse. I used a 15 amp fuse instead of the oem 10 amp. It's just what I had around because I had blown the 10 amp while testing things. 10 would probably be safer:

Here is the passenger side headlight wiring with DRL wire exposed:

Here is where I ran the wire (inside the black plastic wire loom) across from the passenger to the driver's side:

I did not photograph the driver's side when connecting but there's only one White with Yellow stripe on that side.

How it looked plugged in when completed:

After I performed the install to the DRLs I drove around for a while and it was wonderful. However, when the ribbons are running in DRL mode they are super bright. A relay is needed to have them dim when headlights are activated. Here are the connections for the relay that you need to attach. Keep in mind, you have to buy a 5-terminal relay with an 87a terminal (in the middle). Also, make sure that the relay you buy disconnects the circuit between 30 and 87a when activated. If you buy a relay at an auto parts store, it probably won't work. If you buy it at a best buy or alarm/stereo shop it most likely will work. Just tell them what I listed below and they should be able to confirm.

Relay wiring:
85: Ground
86: Parking light wire or headlight wire
87: leave empty (do not connect)
87a: new wire going to DRL wires at headlight
30: new wire from fuse box (cut the wire somewhere downstream from the diode and place the side from the fuse box and diode to 30 and the other end coming from the headlight to 87a

Further explained:
85: leave to constant ground
86: This should be 12V when you want the relay to be "active". I would use the parking light wire that we already know about from the passenger side headlight wire harness (white with orange stripe).
87: this should be left empty. We're using the relay to leave our DRL connection to ribbons on constantly from 30 through to 87a. When the relay is powered that connection is severed so that the headlights act as if we never installed anything when headlights are on.
87a: After cutting the new wire you just installed from the fuse box to the headlights. The side going to the headlight should be attached to 87a
30: and the other side that goes to the diode and then the fuse box should go to 30

I also wired a simple switch so that if I want the ribbons bright at night for some reason i can just flip the switch. I don't recommend this as it could complicate matters if you're not electrically inclined. If you are electrically inclined then just add this switch along the parking light wire.

Here's a picture of the relay and switch secured to whatever that ECU is for:

The final product with the top picture having connected to the parking light wire and the bottom picture connecting to the DRL wire. (For bottom picture the car was in neutral so that bumper strip would be illuminate for comparison's sake). The camera angle isn't the same, but man what a difference!:

With DRL wires used instead of parking light wires:

I drove it around for a while and am extremely happy with it. Hopefully this information will be helpful.

-Nik

Update #1: There is a "flicker" to the ribbon lights when i unlock the doors prior to starting the cars. I'm open to ideas but I think adding diodes should solve this problem. I'll update this post once I try them.

Update #2: Flicker problem resolved with the addition of a diode. This also stops the bumper DRL strip from being on when unlocking the doors which is the way it comes from the factory. I haven't had any other issues and no warning lights.

Update #3: Thanks to CLStech for pointing this out. Instead of using the parking light wires at the headlight, I used the DRL wire at the headlights. This allows for much higher light output intensity. This makes it much easier to see the ribbons during daylight hours. This also eliminates illumination of the amber corner markers.

Update #4: When running in DRL mode, the ribbons are excellent and appropriate for daytime driving. However, they are too bright for nighttime driving. I have added the wiring for a relay to switch them back when the parking lights or headlights are on.

Update #5: I have added the relay and the ribbons now dim when parking/headlights are active. I wired the relay exactly as listed above and it worked on the first try. Hopefully this will complete this project. I know cmn1 is tired of me asking him to update my DIY :cheers:

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
Thank you for coming up with this mod and trying it out. Couple Questions...

-are the parking lights (left and right) on separate circuits or maybe a seperated by diodes somewhere causing the applied voltage not to feedback to the opposite parking light. ( Is it necessary to wire up both sides)?

-since you have tapped into the parking lights, do the tailights illuminate as well?

-Do the headlight ribbons light at max intensity or a dimmer level similar to turning on headlights/parking lights manually? ( I believe the only time on the SRT models that the headlight ribbons are on max intensity is during a remote start, maybe you can check the differnce there)

I'm thinking the mod you did is simply making the parking lights come on with the DRLs (automating the action of manually turning the parking lights on with the switch), which is fine, just want some clarification.

#4 · (Edited)
Good questions CLS;

The parking lights are separate. Not sure if its by diodes, relays, etc. When I had just one of them wired it would NOT turn on the other one. So fortunately it does not cause parking lights on with ignition. I think if I had wired it to the fuse box or headlight switch (as opposed to directly to headlights) then what you're thinking would have happened.

The taillights do NOT illuminate

Same intensity with the remote start and when they are running as DRLs

Of note, when I unlock the doors now the ribbons have a "flicker" to them and the DRL strip in the bumper is illuminated. I don't remember this happening before I did the mod. I think I need to add diodes. Can someone post and let me know if they're bumper strip DRLs come on when doors are unlocked?

#5 ·
The bumper LED strip does not light upon unlock on mine... Just the ribbons and headlights

#6 ·
Thanks CLS. I shouldn't have been lazy the first time. I stopped by radio shack, bought a diode, and it works perfectly now. There is no flickering of the ribbons and the bumper strip of lights does not illuminate when unlocking the doors. Thanks again and I have updated the original post.

#7 · (Edited)
Did you put a diode at the DRL connection point? (at the fuse)

Nevermind... thanks for the updates!

#8 ·
Sure, I added the diode just after the fuse box by tapping into the wire in the wire loom. I've found it very hard in the past to get solder to stick to the ends of diodes and therefore used butt connectors on each side that I crimped and then secured tightly with black tape.

#10 · (Edited)
Again very nice job with this. I continued doing some more research on this. It was a very smart idea to connect to the parking light circuit.

However, after seeing a non SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee I noticed that the headlight ribbon in regular DRL mode during the day is illuminated at a higher intensity and the yellow parking light is not illuminated.

Checking out the headlight wiring diagram I found the below:
Driver's side parking light wire: White with Brown stripe
Driver's side DRL Lamp wire: White with Yellow stripe (pin 3)

Passenger's side parking light wire: White with Orange stripe
Passenger's side DRL Lamp wire: White with Dark Blue stripe (pin 3)

I'm going to see what applying the DRL signal to the actuall DRL Lamp wire does. Will keep you guys posted.

#13 · (Edited)
Again very nice job with this. I continued doing some more research on this. It was a very smart idea to connect to the parking light circuit........
God Bless you CLS. You were absolutely correct. There is a huge difference in ribbon light output intensity between using the parking light wire and the DRL wire. In my opinion it's also much better without the amber corner markers on.

Here's a picture of the light difference. Driver's side is DRL, Passenger side is parking light wire:

I tried to get a picture of the light difference during the day from straight ahead but the passenger side flickers when using my iphone camera (for some reason the DRL driver's side does not). But as you can see, even during the day the ribbons are now very noticable:

Here is a comparison with the top picture having connected to the parking light wire and the bottom picture connecting to the DRL wire. (For bottom picture the car was in neutral so that bumper strip would be illuminate for comparison's sake). The camera angle isn't the same, but man what a difference!:

One thing to look out for is that on the passenger side there are 2 different wires that are both white with dark blue stripe. I used the one that was 3 terminals in from the corner similar to the passenger side. The other one is attached to a terminal on the corner of the wire harness and I did not test that one:

Another thing that I noticed. When I had connected to the parking light wires, then the following would occur:
ignition on, car in park: ribbons and bumper strip ON
ignition on, car in drive: ribbons and bumper strip ON
After I connected to the DRL wires in the headlight:
ignition on, car in park: ribbons ON and bumper strip OFF
ignition on, car in drive: ribbons and bumper strip ON
Straight from the factory the bumper strip was only on when in drive so it went back to that.

I'll be updating my initial post above and my post in the DIY section. Huge thanks to CLS for pointing this out and doing the research! :cheers:

#11 ·
My thought is by energizing the DRL Lamp Wire the headlight ribbon will go to full intensity. The headlight ribbon drops intensity once the parking light is enabled. This circuitry looks like it is done in the headlight itself.

Based on the wiring diagram it also seems the bumper LED strip in activated by canbus type signal pulses. Excuse my excitement , I will confirm this hopefully tonight.

Thanks for being the pioneer @luvofspeed

#12 ·
That's really great CLS! I'm glad you're still working on this. Let us know if they turn out to be a higher intensity and without the amber side markers on. :bigthumb:

#14 ·
Heeeeyyy! We did it, we did it!

Hats off to you my friend you were the pioneer. I already started wiring mine up. I will be able to work on it tonight...
I used a add-a-circuit tap for mine.

Attachments

#15 ·
I couldn't have done it without you my friend. Thanks for pushing to make sure it was PERFECT. and your wire tap looks WAYYY more professional than my soldering into the fuse. :bigthumb: You're going to be incredibly happy with it. Nice cheap and easy mod that, in my opinion, looks INCREDIBLE!

My thread in the DIY forum should hopefully be updated by tomorrow. Thanks cmn1

#16 ·
The ribbons now are insanely bright!! I love them. I didn't notice how bright until night fall tonight. I have some more information to share:

When the headlights are activated (not ribbons) then the DRL in the bumper strip decrease to approx 1/3 they're intensity. I assume this is because the lights don't have to be as bright at night. The ribbons in the headlight should do the same thing when headlights are turned on to decrease their intensity. I personally am leaving them wired as is because I like them this bright. I was following behind my girlfriend and she said it almost looked like my brights were on.

If you want them to work with decreased intensity when headlights are on, then it's as simple as adding a relay. I won't get into the particulars but I recommend a standard relay with 5 terminals. Run power and ground to it. I would run the wire from the fuse box through 87 to 87a so that when the relay is activated (by headlights turning on) then the circuit to the fuse box that we added will be disconnected.

But as i said before, I LOVE how they look.

#17 ·
Just did mine! We are almost there. The headlight ribbon DRLs look great. Unfortunately they do not dim with the parking or headlights on.

I need to find a normally closed relay to open the circuit when the parking lights come on. That should make the headlight ribbons dim correctly. The headlight ribbons at full brightness seem like they could blind others at night.

I will keep them wired up like this for now until i find a way for them to automatically dim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7pabSxxYrg

#18 ·
Just did mine! We are almost there....
Ok, For CLS and everyone else that wants it to be done as oem as possible.

If you buy a standard relay, this is how I would attach the terminals:

85: Ground
86: Parking light wire or headlight wire
87: leave empty (do not connect)
87a: new wire going to DRL wires at headlight
30: new wire from fuse box (cut the wire somewhere downstream from the diode and place the side from the fuse box to 30 and the other end to 87a

Further explained:
85: leave to constant ground
86: This should be 12V when you want the relay to be "active". I would use the parking light wire that we already know about from the passenger side headlight wire harness (white with orange stripe).
87: this should be left empty. We're using the relay to leave our DRL connection to ribbons on constantly from 30 through to 87a. When the relay is powered that connection is severed so that the headlights act as if we never installed anything when headlights are on.
87a: After cutting the new wire you just installed from the fuse box to the headlights. The side going to the headlight should be attached to 87a
30: and the other side that goes to the diode and then the fuse box should go to 30

I may eventually put this in. But I am LOVING how bright it is. Hope this helps you CLS and everyone else. I haven't tested this, but it should work.

#20 · (Edited)
Rough diagram, i'll be adding the relay tonight...

Also my apologies, the relay should be connected to the headlights so that they dim in the same manner as the bumper LED strip.

Product Diagram Automotive exterior Auto part Automotive fog light

#21 · (Edited)
Rough diagram, i'll be adding the relay tonight...

Also my apologies, the relay should be connected to the headlights so that they dim in the same manner as the bumper LED strip.

View attachment 69897
I added a relay and it works perfectly. I used the connections that I listed above. One thing that is important is to use a relay that breaks the connection between 30 - 87a when activated. Some cheap relays do not, they just add 87 to the connection between the other two. There are other ways to do the relay, but this was the easiest for me and worked on the first try.

On a side note, I also added a switch, so that if i change my mind in the future I can just flip the switch and the relay will remain inactive so that the ribbons will stay bright even with headlights.

Here is a picture of the relay and switch that I attached to whatever that ECU is for:

#24 ·
#26 · (Edited)
Man! @luvofspeed... i cannot tell you how great this looks and functions!!! Thanks again for being the pioneer

#27 ·
Man!@luvofspeed... i cannot tell you how great this looks and functions!!! Thanks again for being the pioneer
Couldn't have done it without you bro. Glad you pushed it to perfection.

#29 ·
No. US version

#31 ·
Sorry am i missing something...is this just so you dont have to turn the parking lights on/off if you want the same lights? Basically making the system automatic instead of having to use the switch?

#32 · (Edited)
Not only is it automatic it doesn't turn on the parking lights and the intensity is much stronger.

If you ever saw a overland or summit during the day that is the intensity they will be. The parking light activation only allows for low intensity.

#35 ·
Kudos to you guys for figuring this all out. I have a feeling it'll be a popular mod for some.

Personally, I'm already fed-up of the headlight ribbons. Cute when it first came out, but now everyone's running them. I'm being lazy in that I didn't bother looking at your schematics, but would simply unplugging the headlight ribbons be enough, or would that set off a code?

#36 ·
I'm being lazy in that I didn't bother looking at your schematics, but would simply unplugging the headlight ribbons be enough, or would that set off a code?
The headlight ribbons are set to come on at low intensity with the parking lights by default. This is done internally within the headlight from what I've seen. I don't think there is a way to disable.

#37 ·
Damn! I'll take a look to be sure but between the two of us, you're most familiar with the set-up. So I'm prolly screwed :(

Thx bud!

#39 ·
By keeping the headlight ribbon DRL wire energized at all times the LED ribbon will remain bright. The Relay in the harness allows the power to the ribbon DRL to be cut once the headlights are turned off. If you wanted the DRL Ribbons bright at all times you would just leave them powered.

At this time I have not found a way to keep the fog and ribbons on with the high beams.

#43 ·
#44 ·
SRT lighting

I wanted a Jeep SRT but can't tow it behind my RV
So just bought a 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit with a minor front hit.
Rather than replace with Vin correct fascia/etc I have purchased all SRT parts .
I managed to get everything except the pigtails for the LED bumper strip DRLs.
Any thoughts and complications in wiring them in.

#45 ·
I wanted a Jeep SRT but can't tow it behind my RV
So just bought a 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit with a minor front hit.
Rather than replace with Vin correct fascia/etc I have purchased all SRT parts .
I managed to get everything except the pigtails for the LED bumper strip DRLs.
Any thoughts and complications in wiring them in.
From what I have seen the bumper led strips are run via canbus signal, but I may be wrong. Not sure how to activate them.

#48 ·
well took rig to dealer today to activate the mandatory DRLs in Canada
Usually its a simple computer application.They were dumbfounded and completely unsucsessful.
U guys have way more expertise than these local dealers.They're ckecking with Chrysler techs to see what to do.
Still trying to get my led bumper strips to light up.I have no feed at the BCM connector 4 pin 11 DRL 'signal feed"
was hoping the dealer could energize that for me.If not could I pull a signal feed off something else in the vehicle.Are 'Signals' all the same or is each an exclusive,item specific type of control?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.