DIY: Spare tire setup (WK1) - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
Tech Tips - DIY - How-To Member created and Member approved! From modifications to maintenance, find the step-by-step info you need here. (Only Moderators can post)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

DIY: Spare tire setup (WK1)

Finally finished up this project. Since I'm not running runflats and I don't trust fix-a-flat or an air pump for major flats, I decided to setup my own spare tire kit for peace of mind.
Parts needed:
18x4 Chrysler Pacifica compact spare ($45 ebay)
Hub & wheel centric spacer so the rim clears the brakes ($65 http://www.motorsport-tech.com/)
Extra set of lug nuts ($8 Pep Boys)
Jeep jack kit ($40 ebay)
Misc nuts & bolts ($5-$10 Home Depot)
Wheel cover ($20 Pep Boys)

While I was sound deadening behind the panels I noticed this bracket on the driver side rear fender. It was in the perfect position for the center hub on the compact spare. If I recall correctly, this was a 6" bolt with washers and a lock nut.

The hard part was drilling through the side panel at just the right spot. I didn't get it perfect but it's hidden by the washer and the wheel... Note: I was told by another member here that I could have installed the bolt, then taped a laser pointer to the opposite side of the car pointing at the end of the bolt, then remove that and reinstall the plastic side panel and the laser dot will give a perfect drilling position.

As you can see, the bolt aligns to the center of the wheel hub. The wheel must be on the floor of the jeep, if you put it on top of the false floor, it will be too tall. I picked up a wing nut, a large washer and a strip of steel plate with a hole drilled into it to secure the wheel.

I used a sawzall to cut a relief in the false floor for the tire to go through, and a little clearance on the end of the removable tray. I probably could have done this much nicer, looks like I over cut it a couple inches, but it turned out ok.

Here's the adapter I had built by www.motorsport-tech.com It's hub centric and wheel centric, which is the safest you can possibly be when running a spacer... It is 1.25" thick. The extra lugs I picked up at Pep Boys for around $8. To store this, I just bolt it to the wheel and finger tighten the lugs, so it's completely out of the way.

Need a little air in the tire, it had 32psi rather than the recommended 60psi. Otherwise it drove fine and there is plenty of clearance everywhere.

Buy the spare tire cover of your choice. No pics of the jack kit, but it's a standard Jeep GC jack kit from a junkyard and it mounts right into the spot behind the passenger side rear seat.

2009 Procharged SRT8
Formerly Procharger's R&D vehicle
'09 Mirrors with Power Folding Internals
Quad Projector Retrofit w/ Halo Projector Fogs
Tinted Tails w/TLS Harness
Audio Control LC6i Feeding SoundStream Amps
Kicker CS doors & dash on 340watts & Alpine Type-R on 650watts
Mobius Actioncam Dash camera
5% Tint
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jasonlmarsh For This Useful Post:
calgary.srt8 (11-06-2013), eman2289 (11-24-2013), jvs0302 (11-08-2013), srt812 (11-13-2013), WIPLASH (11-06-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode