How To: Key Fob Refurb 2008-2010 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
Tech Tips - DIY - How-To Member created and Member approved! From modifications to maintenance, find the step-by-step info you need here. (Only Moderators can post)

1Likes
  • 1 Post By SpoolinUp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

How To: Key Fob Refurb 2008-2010

Just put new outer shells/buttons on my fobs so I figured I'd make a quick How-To while I was at it.

Parts/Tools:
Small Flathead
Superglue
3x 4" Zip Ties
Vice, alligator clip, or similar
Pencil Eraser or Mr Clean Magic Eraser

1. Go to eBay and search "Fobik" or find the member "extra-partss". Locate the shell with the same options that your current fob has.

2. Remove the backup key via the little slider on the bottom of he fob. Now pop off the back small cover with a flathead screwdriver and remove the battery. Next, pry the case apart with the small flathead. Mine was glued together so I ended up partially destroying the case. Oh well, all you need is the circuit board.

3. My fob kit came with the contactors, the small circular pieces on the buttons that make the button actually work. I opted to use the factory ones because they will probably be more reliable. Carefully pull them off the old buttons and place them on the new buttons. They will want to fall off so sit the buttons face down inside the front case.

4. Clean the contacts with the Pencil Eraser or Magic Eraser.

5. Put the circuit board onto the buttons and get the super glue and zip ties. Put superglue on the pegs that connect the halves and along the inner lip of the fob all the way around. Be careful not to get any on the outer lip or it may turn a gross white color.

6. Zip tie as seen below and place in vice. Optionally use an alligator clip or small chip clip. Leave for 15 minutes or so.

7. Insert battery, put the small cover back on and put the key back in, you're done.

Final thoughts:
Looks good but the edge of the black button closest to the Panic button is a little red. Who knows if they are all like this or not. Either way it's way better then my beat stock one.

More photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 2.JPG (142.2 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.JPG (145.7 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg photo 4.JPG (87.8 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg photo 5.JPG (129.6 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg photo 1.JPG (161.7 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (146.7 KB, 274 views)
Slicko likes this.

-Matt
Procharged 08 BB SRT-8

Last edited by cmn1; 09-16-2013 at 05:18 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SpoolinUp For This Useful Post:
TSINND (10-02-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode