Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Black Box Believer

6K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  Askero 
#1 ·
I used the turtle wax "Black Box" and all I can say is WOW!! So many scrathes and swirls are gone now! I also used Meguiar's clay kit before the wax, and I was amazed how much invisible crudd that thing took off. I am one happy driver! :D:D

There is a before and after on my side mirrors.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The mirror shows a noticeable difference, I may have to invest in some of this product as well. How long did it take you to get it all done?

#8 ·
It took me about 4 hours but I took my time and in some spots did it twice. Its a long process but well worth the time and effort. I cannot tell you how many heads turned when I was driving around today. :D

#6 ·
Looks very shiny!

#9 ·
BTW, I'm in the middle of blacking everything out. Should be done this week, so hush it about the trim...lol

#13 · (Edited)
It takes off grime, dirt, and oxidation that builds up on your clear cloat over time. I washed my car really really well, making it look like brand new, and then I ran a clay bar kit over the whole thing and I could NOT believe what came off of the vehicle. It was a bunch of crud just built up over time. After your done with the CK, it feels like glass when you rub your fingers across. Just as smooth as can be. After you do that it's always good to throw a fresh coat of wax, I used the black box kit from turtle wax and it filled up all swirls and scratches. Especially the ones on the side mirrors from being ran through a automatic carwash before I bought it as you can see. It took me a total of 8 hours to do everything but I did it right and it looks like it just rolled off the showroom. :D

#17 ·
What process did you use to black out the chrome?

#15 ·
IMO you're wasting your time with the black box. Your results are OK, but that'll all wash away in two weeks (it most definetly already has). All it is doing is filling in your scratches with black polish, which won't even stick on since the dirt on your car has probably not been fully prepped. 4 hours for two weeks of protection ain't so hot. Buy a orbital polisher, optimum swirl remover, and finishing glaze and you'll have removed all scratches on your car.

I've attached a picture of my car after a detail. Took approx 8 hours. I left the liscense plate on to show the difference. I polished that out after.

Attachments

#16 ·
It lasted me about 2 months, washing it about once a week. But of course it's not gonna be better than a machined buffed cleaner, polish, and wax. Mine was done by hand and it looked great. I will be getting a porter cable very soon though because I'm tired....lol

#21 ·
It lasted me about 2 months
Sorry, I dont think so. Anyone who know's ANYTHING about detailing will tell you the black box is a POS. It's filling in your scratches and will wash off in 2 weeks. Garenteed. The results, are not good IMO. Anyone can make a car look OK with the right picture angle. Not bashing on you, just don't want another poor soul to try this product and waste 4 hours of their life.:rolleyes::)

#18 ·
I became a believer after i used the box once. I know its not as good as a full detail with a clay bar & orbitals, but I would say its a step below. Here are some pics of mine after. It really brought out the brilliant black.

Attachments

#20 ·
I've used the BB results last 2 weeks....but the time spent not worth it.

#22 · (Edited)
Disagree bro... Used it and love it!!! Doesn't last two months but a few weeks in bad weather. Can last in good weather.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#23 ·
I think it is good as long as you know what you are getting out of it. Like previously said it will last 2 weeks and then you'll be back to where you started.. I bought it for my wifes new GC and was going to use it from day 1 on it. I did the hood and was not impressed. I think on a black with no pearl with lots of swirl and surfaces scratches it will be OK at best. Id save my money and get it wet sanded and buffed then stay out of Automatic car washes.. If you truly love spending the time once a month and dont drive it in the rain or wash it often then this product may be for you. My favorite as far as ease of use is Wizards polishes.. Plus it smells nice

#24 ·
here mine with voodoo synthetic cleaner/polish/sealant after 2 months

Attachments

#25 ·
The side mirror stayed scratch free for a solid 2 1/2 months. It's a $20 kit, so of course it won't be comparable to cutting compounds, orbitals, and sealants. But one thing I would change is not put two coats on of every step. You would be spending too much time for the results. Claying aside, I could do this entire process in 2 hours easily by myself. Time well worth it for me. Again $20 for a deep shine that does last a couple months. (Weather permitting of course)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.