Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Audio Upgrade - NEED INPUT PLEASE!

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  ltleo 
#1 ·
OK, I'd like to upgrade my front door speakers. I have the base Nav system, not Boston. I've talked to Crutchfield twice, and both times they told me there are no aftermarket 6x9's that will fit in the doors, and that I have to go with 6.5's with adapters. I know for a fact there's guys on here that have used 6x9's though. So, what is the deal here? PLEASE post up what you guys have used in the front doors. Do I need to stick with Full Range speakers in order to avoid losing any kind of sound quality since that is what the stock ones are? I'm assuming the radio sends the full range signal to the speaker, so by not going with another full range speaker, some of the sounds in the song may not come through?

#2 ·
6x9 speakers are really not that great. Honestly, anything that isn't an actual circle doesn't perform that well. You'll get much better sound out of a 6.5". The guys that put 6x9's in probably cut the door skins. I would put a set of components in instead of a co-axial or full range woofer. You'll get significantly better sound with actual tweeters.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. So how would you mount them? Is there a bracket made for our doors to easily mount a set of components? Or would you mount the tweeter up higher somewhere? What about the 3.5" in the dash? Isn't it mostly a tweeter?

#4 ·
I'll be honest, I don't know much about the audio in these Jeeps. I just bought mine not too long ago and it has aftermarket everything audio, so I really have no clue. Adapters are universal though for the most part, you just pick one that fits the sizes you need. If you're concerned about where the tweeters go, most components have the option of mounting them right on the speaker (only concern here is interfering with the door panel) or mounting them somewhere else. If you wanted them somewhere else, I can't really help because I don't know the car well enough. I'm sure searching would give some good ideas though. One option, as is the case with mine, is replacing the 3.5" dash speakers with the tweeters. 3.5" really isn't a good size to be dealing with. They can't match the high frequency range that tweeters can but don't really extend into the midbass at all, so upgrading your front speakers and replacing the 3.5" ones with tweeters is really a better way to cover the whole spectrum.

#9 ·
You don't have to. Kicker tried. They failed. Now they sell at Walmart.

#12 ·
You would def, then enjoy some coax, replacements with a sub. Price wise you can find good Polk or pioneer easy fit replacements that will def be an improvement. Just double check the watt/responce via the actual radio in the jeep, unless your replacing it also.

I totally understand your feel via kick drum as I've played on and off for the last 20 years. I enjoy a double kick. 6x9 will actually enhance the natural lower feq but I would still add In a sub. Some other Lines depending on lower or upper would be JL for lower or even focal for more across, but if your into rock to,be honest Polk actually makes good price points for more main stream rock, or classic.

Many other brands also. But for what your looking for pioneer has a top rated mid price selection. I agree the stock drivers are not that good sound wise. I've never been a fan of Boston acoustics or even infinity. Then again each is subjective.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.