MyGig install on 06-07 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
WK1 Audio/Video/Nav/UConnect/Electronics Use this section to discuss all topics related to car audio & video, UConnect, navigation & electronics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Contributing Member

Arrow MyGig install on 06-07

Finally, THE thread that shows just about everything you need to upgrade that old REC or whatever to the MyGig.
DIY: How To: '06-'07 MyGig Install(WK1)
Discussion: MyGig install on 06-07

*NOTE: This thread does NOT contain info on how to install satellite radio*

**Insert Grip Grip's thread of needed items here with corresponding pictures below**

The items needed:

A LOWSPEED MyGig radio. Get an RER or RHR (these have navigation; getting anything else defeats the purpose).

The MyGig radio must be for/from a vehicle on the left list. If so, that radio will work with any vehicle on the right list.

With the radio SHOULD come the GPS antenna (blue connector)

If you want satellite radio, you will need to get an antenna or antenna extender.
*NOTE: I do not have a subscription for satellite radio, therefore I skipped this.*

If you want Uconnect to work, you'll need Chrysler part#: 82212906
It attaches to the middle 10-pin socket in the MyGig and the module beneath the passenger kickboard where my hand is.
*NOTE: I never got around to this. Credit goes to 2quick4u.*

A MyGig Lockpick ADAPTER. Let me re-emphasize, a MyGig Lockpick ADAPTER. Yes, it is different. No, the normal lockpick FIM will not work. I doubt the CHR550 will work for this. It comes with:
Lockpick V.5 interface (set to these switches, vehicle "1" and all switches "UP")

The ADAPTER "T-harness." This is different from the normal T-harness that comes with the FIM & CHR550.

FM antenna adapter (this comes exclusively with the Lockpick ADAPTER kit)

If you have a reverse camera, there are 2 ways to go about this.
2quick4u's way: Read the quote. He's refering to Chrysler part#: 68032268AA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2quic4u View Post
basically your re-wiring the camera wires to a connector that will actually plug right in to the mygig. when you purchase the connector kit, the connector is blank and all the wires are seperate, so you can feed the wires into the slots you need and leave the rest blank. below are the 2 diagrams: first for the rec camera, second for the mygig camera. if you notice the wires are the same color, so you would just match them up to the wires coming from the connector kit and the camera will work with no issues.

REC:
Radio Connector C3 (rear camera, 2007 models only)

Cavity:1 Wire color: Dark Green / OrangeFunction:Camera Return
Cavity:2 Wire color:Dark Green / Brown Function:Camera Signal
Cavity:3 Wire color:Dark Green / White Function:Camera Shield

MYGIG:
Radio Connector C3 (DVD/rear camera)

Function
Cavity:3 Wire color:Dark Green / Brown Function:CAMERA SIGNAL
Cavity:4 Wire color:Dark Green / Orange Function:CAMERA RETURN
Cavity:5 Wire color:Dark Green / White Function:CAMERA SHIELD
Lockpick's way: YOU WILL NEED ELECTRICAL EXPERIENCE. If you would like one, get an aftermarket one with long power cables so that the lockpick can power it. Same with any other cameras/accessories you'd like.

!! OPTIONAL !!
A new bezel to cover the extra space:
*NOTE: I got this from ebay. Since it is from ebay, it does not fit properly. See final picture*

NOTE: If you have a different radio (not the REC), you may need to get a new bezel. Possibly the REC bezel pictured below or a different one.

The tools needed:

A small 10mm socket wrench to disconnect battery:

Any rag or towel to cover the battery terminal to prevent electrocution or accidental touch during the install:

A phillips (+) screw driver(s); a decent sized one to unscrew the radio, a really tiny one to attach GPS antenna to bracket (OPTIONAL: if you do not have a tiny screw driver, use some double-sided tape and stick antenna to top of radio {see below; if you do decide to follow what I did, grab some packing tape!})

A small thick set of pliers to help disconnect the FM antenna:

A hacksaw -OR- drill to either remove the support dimples or to provide a hole for them:
*NOTE: depending on which vehicle your MyGig radio came from, you may or may not need this.*

A head flashlight or a lantern to see everything. A normal flashlight takes away one of your hands.

Something to help you remove the plastic trim pieces. This can be anything thin, decent length, and very strong:

The install will continue on my following post as I am nearing the character limit of this post.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Joeyyyyy
06 Jeep SRT8

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by blahson; 10-21-2014 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Done with this one for now...
The Following User Says Thank You to blahson For This Useful Post:
Mike22 (01-11-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 10:04 AM
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

I just finished my install right now on my 07 love it
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 10:09 AM

Good thread

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,886 Times in 1,371 Posts
Garage
Will leave it open till you make a post that it is done. Nice work so far.

Where did you get the bezel from or what is the part number so people can find it?

Chad (06 Inferno Red GC SRT8) PWR 6.3L, PWR Apache Heads, Stage6 76 mm Turbo, Stage6 Fuel Pump, SHR NAG1-HTCr, PI 2400 TQ Converter, ATI Flex Plate, BC Coil Overs, Wilwood TC6R calipers, Kooks Headers, Mopar exhaust, MM 85mm T-body, Jerseyboy CMR, Bwoody Sway Links, R1 Concepts F Slot & Dimp, R StopTech Pads, Earls Trans Cooler, TLS Rear Fog Harness

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cmn1; 01-11-2014 at 10:11 AM.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

The install

You saw how long the first post was? Hah, we haven't even started yet...
*NOTE: NOW is the time to remove any CD's from the radio!! I totally forgot...*

The Install:

Let's start by disconnecting the battery using the 10mm wrench:

Use the dirty rag to pull off the terminal & wrap it so that it does not electrocute you or accidentally touch during the install:

NOTE: Now that your vehicle does not have power, the lights should not work. It is a little dark inside so now is the time to get the lights!

So the center radio plastic trim bezel is attached where Resumespeed drew the red arrows:
*NOTE: He did not draw arrows to exact locations, this is simply a reference.*

Grab the radio plastic trim bezel with both hands and pull to just dislodge it:

Use your choice of trim piece remover to dislodge from the air vents:

Finally, gently pull from under the radio trim bezel until it is free:
*NOTE: I realized that I did not get a picture of this until after the install, my bad.*

Remove the bezel & set aside:

Use the screw driver to remove the 4 screws holding the radio:

Set them aside:

Pull out the radio just enough to expose the back. Use the small pliers to disconnect the FM antenna (round plastic black thingy):
*NOTE: This thing is a bit of a sucker; I couldn't get it off using only my hands.*

*NOTE: If you have a 2007, you most likely have a rear view camera. Disconnect it! Mine's a 2006; I did not have one so I have no picture.*

Disconnect the 10-pin and 22-pin connectors by pushing up on these tabs:

Disconnect the GPS antenna by pushing the tab.

Pull the radio out and set aside. You should have this bundle of cables hanging out:

Somehow, take off the passenger kickpanel to expose the module that controls Uconnect. The module is right around where my hand is, according to 2quick4u.

Disconnect whatever wire harness is there. Connect the new harness (Chrysler part#: 82212906) and thread it up to where the other wires are. The harness is short but it'll barely make it. Re-install passenger kickpanel.

NOTE: If you have a small screw driver, continue following. If you do not or wish to not follow the following steps for the GPS antenna, then use double-sided tape on the antenna and place on the top metal side of the MyGig radio.

Look into the cave and you should see the GPS antenna bracket help in place by 2 screws. Remove them:
*NOTE: If you have some other radio (not the REC), there may be a support bracket that you will need to remove.*

Set screws aside:

You should be holding this:

On the back side, use the small screw driver to remove the old GPS antenna:

Set the screws aside

Replace the old light grey semi-round GPS antenna with the new black rectangular one:
*NOTE: The 3-screw pattern does NOT match the 4-screw pattern. I aligned one screw hole and angled the antenna like so (there is a reason for this)*

Insert the other screws. Use packing tape to keep other screws inplace. Leave a portion of tape hanging over and bundle it so that it makes removal easy.
*NOTE: This is the reason for the angled position. One screw holds antenna in place, another is hidden inside a small space in the antenna, & the last one is exposed.*

Place GPS antenna bracket back into position (stud through center hole, screws on either side (2))

NOTE: Those skipping what I did with the GPS antenna or decided to just use the double-sided tape' resume here!!

Attach the FM antenna adapter to the FM antenna:

Attach the 22-pin connector to the black female connector on the T-harness.
*NOTE: The white female connector on the T-harness will be unused.*

Attach the Lockpick device to the T-harness:
*NOTE: Make sure it is fully attached (all the way in); this will take some strength*

Now, you should have this mess:

Grab the MyGig radio and attach the FM antenna adapter to the white plug

Attach the male grey connector (it's keyed)

Attach the male 10-pin connector from the new Uconnect harness 82212906.
*I did not do this, therefore I do not have a picture. Sorry!*

Attach the male white connector even though the female one is unused (it's keyed)

Attach the GPS antenna (blue to blue)

*NOTE: This is the time to attach the satellite radio antenna or extender to the orangey port. I do not have satellite radio so I skipped this.*

Now grab the mess of wires and somehow stuff it all into the cave.

*NOTE: See the 2 top holes in the dash, one of which was used for the screw holding the radio? You have the option to drill a hole in between those 2 holes on both sides or to do what I did below:

I decided to saw off these stud/dimple things. It did not match the holes already in the dash for me and it may not for you

Since the radio no longer has the stud/dimple things, there is nothing to support the radio while we screw it back in. The consequence: support the radio with one hand and screw in the top right. Then screw in the bottom left, followed by the other 2

Place the aftermarket radio bezel (if you got one) into the radio trim piece bezel. See the circle & rectangle cutout? circle goes on top. Feed it through the stud/dimple thing in the bezel

Reattach the radio trim piece bezel

Reconnect the battery. Turn the car on for a few minutes. Then turn it off for a few minutes. This allows the lockpick to program the MyGig radio.

Tada! You're pretty much done...

The defaults:
Reverse camera on when in reverse
Rear VES off

You can change these settings in system settings. The rear VES is unaffected, supposedly. I honestly have no idea because I do not have the VES.

The Clock:
Yea, this gets it's own section...
The clock in our rigs is a system clock, meaning a different module controls the clock. Yes, I know the radio says it's the GPS clock, but some other module controls it.
Those of us with the 2006 model year, we are SOL. The clock will forever read --:-- or 12:00. I've tried everything.
Those of us with the 2007 model year, pray. It may or may not work.

Last edited by blahson; 11-11-2014 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Updated with other member's input
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 05:53 PM
Elite Contributing Member

Trim removal tools are not necessary. Just pull on the while bezel towards you and work the edges with your fingers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

I'm gettting frustrated
with modding
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIPLASH View Post
Trim removal tools are not necessary. Just pull on the while bezel towards you and work the edges with your fingers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I'm just being thorough and considerate with this whole install as it is meant for everyone. Not everyone has the same size hands
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Done!

I'm all finished!! Mods, please take a look at the picture link in the second post. See if you guys can fix it for me, please.

Everyone else, thank you for your patience!
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 10:18 PM

One ? Nothing goes in the middle of the back connected
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike22 View Post
One ? Nothing goes in the middle of the back connected
That middle 10-pin is unused & disconnected. I'm debating about plugging it in just to see what happens. The instructions for the lockpick says that the functions of the two are different & do not match. I'm wondering if that will fix the clock though lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mygig, mygig upgrade, radio, rec upgrade, upgrade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode